VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to sort out the farty standard speakers in my van. I saw on Absolut5 facebook page a kit consisting of Focal ISU200 8" door speakers, dash tweeters, crossovers, collars, mounts and sound deadening mats, ie everything needed to upgrade the standard setup. As they are all of 4 minutes away from my house it seemed rude not to ?
This is the kit:

This is what I found once the door card was off. No wonder the sound was at best, pants:

Drill the rivets out and sling the hunk of junk in the trash:

With the door panel bare it's time to apply Skinz sound deadening. I used a hair dryer to help it form around everything. You can see a semi circle flap behind where the speaker will sit, this is to protect the speaker and allow water to run off:

Door panel back on, new collar installed. I used M5 bolts rather than self tappers. Although the kit came with adaptors for the original speaker connections, I ended up cutting them off and used bullet terminals:

Speaker installed, yes it's upside down ? this it to get the terminals up the top and protected. Cutting the connector off allowed me to neatly feed the wires through the collar:

That's it for the door, put the door card on with new clips and it's on to the tweeter.

Standard ming:

Tweeter and mounting plate:

A 45mm hole is required for the tweeter. I had this cheap nasty hole saw in the garage and it happened to be the right size:

Tweeter in the mount:

And installed:

And that is it. Quite straightforward and the sound is a vast improvement. I've yet to test it out fully, I have a Kenwood DMX7017DABS to put in now so I'll update once it's all up and running. ?

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Excellent write upT:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to upgrade my speakers too. How do these Focals compare to something like the Hertz Mille Pro 6" components?
No idea, but they are 8" with separate tweeters so probably much more punchy. I'm very impressed with the volume, clarity and punch from them just off the head unit.

Head unit, dash cam and reversing camera all in today, now to put all the trim panels back on and have a good tidy up ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did the rings fit over the door holes properly or was there a minor gap at the bottom once you got the a couple of the ring screw holes. Far enough in metal to hold? The rings seeen slightly small for the door speaker holes on the t6 even though that speaker set supposed to fit in them?

·
Registered
291 Posts
STW101 same problem on my 2005 t5 the rings are slightly too small even though listing states they fit.
so i refitted the original one & fastened the new 8 inch rings to them .
these are the ones i bought maybe they are suppose to fit over the originals :unsure:
VW TRANSPORTER T5 FRONT DOOR SPEAKER SPACER RING ADAPTORS CT25VW04 200MM 8" | eBay
I was thinking of fixing the tweeters on top of the grill seems such a shame to hide them underneath the grill

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I ended up buying the same kit as the original poster - I'd highly recommend them! They're such a massive improvement over the shoddy originals.
I'm sure you can spend more for even better sound quality but I'd say they're a sensible upgrade without spending over the top.
I ran them straight off the headunit for about a year and they provide some useful bass being 8" rather than the usual 6".
I've since upgrade my audio further and have them running off a JL Audio XD500/3 which also powers a JL Audio 10" sub under the drivers seat and added a set of matching Focal 6" components in the rear too.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Thread revival! How are you finding these Focal's now you have lived with them for quite a few years?
We now offer the focals with a compact digital amp, massive jump in performance

Reactions: JIMMYJAMES

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi folks, does anyone know if there are grills available for focal ISU 165 speakers ?
Thinking of putting a set of these in the rear of my kombi then a set of ISU 200's in the front at a later date.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yeah there are - I bought ISU165's for the rear of mine (purely cos I wanted to match them with the front - even though they're not on show). I got a pair of grills off eBay for £18 delivered.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Im in the process of fitting mine, I had issues with the supplied plastic adapter mounts too, I ended up making some of my own out of 18mm mdf in the end because I couldn’t see a easy way to make the plastic ones work. I am double stacking the 18mm mdf so the projection into the cab is more or less the same as the plastic ones.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Making your own adaptors using the originals as templates is a lot cheaper and more robust than the plastic adaptors. I went the same way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
STW101 same problem on my 2005 t5 the rings are slightly too small even though listing states they fit.
so i refitted the original one & fastened the new 8 inch rings to them .
these are the ones i bought maybe they are suppose to fit over the originals :unsure:
VW TRANSPORTER T5 FRONT DOOR SPEAKER SPACER RING ADAPTORS CT25VW04 200MM 8" | eBay
I was thinking of fixing the tweeters on top of the grill seems such a shame to hide them underneath the grill
Where did you mount the tweeters? I was thinking of putting mine on the surface of the grill. Pictures would ge great if you did it this way. Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you have an online shop / price list somewhere? Couldn't see any description of the kit on your website?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts