VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I know this topic has had lots of threads made about it before!

I have a fixed double in our T5 (it used ot have a bulk head) which has been re trimmed in leather. We are looking to have it modified with an outdoor technical mechanism to make getting our son in and out of his cabin bed much easier.

I read a thread a few weeks ago with had pictures of a double seat from a T5 which used to have a bulkhead and it was actually a folding seat, it just didnt have the pull cord attached to it. Now i cant find this thread any where and its driving me nuts as I want to double check the pics to see if ours by some miracle is actually a folding one. :*

Can anyone help me with this? Im sure I read it some where and there were pictures, OH thinks I'm going mad but want to make sure we're not about to splash out £185 for the outdoor technical mechanism when we don't have too!

Thanks
Kate :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why not buy a folding front seat off eBay,( I did, cost me £90, sold my old one for £50!) just an idea, hope a different opinion helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just had another look at this, I still can`t see how you make it fold down, the Outdoor Technical fitting instructions make no reference to the catch or pull tape?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Well yes, I have seen that, what I`m asking is how does it fold down, the original folding seat made by VW has a tape that you pull. Pulling the tape releases a catch allowing the seat to fold. No mention of the tape or the catch on the Outdoor and Technical type.

There is a pull tape on the Outdoor technical lower part of the bracket as they use a Genuine Vw bracket.
Outdoor technical only replace the upper part of the original Vw folding bracket. ( The triangular part as in the picture )
The seat backrest is bolted to this new upper bracket.

Picture 6 on the righthand side of the Facebook page

( I had a demo of this at Camperjam)

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Swapped mine for a single so have a folding double going cheap, nr Cambridge so not too far from you. Its in inca though!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I have various t5 double front folding seats for sale in varying conditions, mostly inca, from £75 each.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm sure I've seen a mechanism that allows the seat back to be pushed fully forward, in effect giving a rear facing seat?.
I've seen this on some old (omni)bus seats and in railway carriages where the seat back is hinged at the seat's base and flops forward or backward, but never on a T5 passenger double. You can get swivel plates to turn the whole lot around though which may be what you're thinking :*

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes, some T5 double passenger seats DO have a seat back that folds flat (forwards), my 1.9 `04 did, and jolly useful it was too, allowing long windsurfer boards to be transported. There was a post about them once warning people to make sure the ash tray/cup holder was pushed away before lowering the seat back , if not the cupholder would be quickly removed !

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wooly, Zed, not to go OT too far, but I'm not sure that's what Nobeerinthefridge is getting at (folding is a word that comes easier to mind than their description) - perhaps Nobeerinthefridge could elaborate :*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts