VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I posted a few weeks ago about my van revving up and down by itself. Someone suggested that I clean the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) with carburettor cleaner. I did this but it didn't solve the problem.

Basically what happens is when the IACV is connected the van starts perfectly but then revs up by itself if left to idle. without the IACV connected the van will not start unless it is already warm. If i start the van then unplug the IACV it runs lovely to start with but then begins to rev constantly fast as the van warms up. This results in massive use of petrol and it sounds like I've got my foot constantly on the accelerator.

I have recently had nearly all the breathing and vacuum pipes replaced but the issue is still there. I have looked at IACVs on eBay and found that VW ones run from around £25 - £150. Do I need to get a T4 specific valve or will any VW one do? they look similar but slightly different shapes so this leads my to believe they are not all interchangeable. New ones from VW are about £150 and I'm loathed to spend that much if it's not necessarily just that thats the issue.

I have no knowledge of engines or mechanics when it comes to cars or vans so please explain accordingly :)

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.
Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your help. When I managed to finally figure out my from my elbow with my engine (I'm not very engine savvy lol) I cleaned the butterfly valve on the manifold (I think) and it now ticks over lovely. Also replaced a rubber connector on the IACV and it's a million times better.

Thanks for all your help T:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.