VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, has anyone here fitted transit custom rear seats into a T5? I’ve got a set ready to go, but would welcome advice from anyone who’s done it before!

many thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Firstly I fitted them is a slightly unusual position, sort of in between the standard VW 2nd and third row so I gained some leg room and kept large “boot” space. The most awkward part was the measuring to get all 16 fixing bolts in positions were they could be drilled without hitting anything, crossmembers etc. I actually Re-drilled one hole in the seat brackets so this was possible. I also had to make some shims up out of 8mm steel to fit between the floor ribs to give a solid base as it was impossible for me to have the rails on the gaps between if you see what I mean.
then just measured, marked and drilled
Fitted as large a spreader plates as was possible.
As for the floor I fitted 12mm ply with a sled adhesive underlay on top and bottom to raise floor a little, As you will know the rails are about 40mmish deep if I remember correctly, by the time I’d carpeted I was left with about 20mm to make up so I fitted some 20x20 square high density foam to fill the gap, I’ll take some pics and post tomorrow.
the step was easy just raised it by the depth of floor and it fits back perfect, I haven’t yet made up the gap between step and door yet still thinking in that one.
Fowong Thick High Density Foam... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RP5V4H1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So today we fitted my seat... I wanted to take more pictures but it’s been a long day!
This is the van first thing- clean!

So the first job was to fit the rails to the seats, and work our centres/ bolt spacing a so that a drillingtemplate could be made.

Meanwhile... plastics, heat shield, exhaust and fuel tank are all removed. By this time we’d been at it several hours. Quite a day!

Now, seats are fitted into rails and the template to check bolt centres.

These are the rails loosely fitted and ready for tightening.

Below deck, the bolts pass through a 6mm steel plate welded to the underside of the floor and with captive nuts.

Seats in and clipped! Just time to cleanWeld and reassemble. Bar under the seat was painted back in with stone chip (sorry forgot to take pictures!

for anyone interested These are our centres.

a quick bit of heater fuel line fitting for next year...

Thanks to James at cruxworx Worcester for all the help and assistance!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks really good, I would’ve liked to use the three seats but as mine are slightly between the wheel arches I couldn’t squeeze them in.
only downside to these seats is they are more comfortable than the drivers. 😂😂

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve got to say yours do look really smart! I’m in two minds whether to keep the floor at one height or to raise the floor near the mounts so they end up flush? The photos in my last post are completely out of sync with the text- mind you, I was falling asleep writing it last night!

·
Registered
122 Posts
You e done a good job there. I was thinking about raising mine flush, which I think would look better but I’ve got a swivel on the double front seat so I couldn’t go any higher.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve just been looking at mine- from what I can see the rails sit 45mm above the floor. If I rebate the kiravans base into the floor, and raise it 5mm, I (think I) can get the floor flush with the swivel base... I’ll update this once I get it done in the next few weeks 😊

1 - 12 of 12 Posts