VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been alot of unhappy campers recently. Maybe its time to change the forum slightly (Improve).. and move it forward. Ive seen this forum evolve from the old one and in some ways it has kind of stagnated. There are many new members looking for inspiration and guidance and maybe the current format isn't as good as it could be... (i could be wrong :cool:)

Personally id like to see some better tech sections and sticky how to threads. Peepz are quick enough to tell newbs to go search but quite often a better organised tech and how to section may overcome this and unclutter the place. Members pay £10 per year.. so how about some professional looking tech threads (maybe the forum could even pay some knowledgeable van geek/pro to produce some how to guides or more comprehensive FAQs.) This would stop the same old questions coming up week after week such as...

What van should i buy?
What wheels fit my van??
How low?
How to Lower?
Servicing guide..
Wheel refurb guide
More extensive detailing guides
Rear Seat upgrades and fitment
Building your own units
etc.
etc.

Theres heaps of the same stuff that gets asked every week. All the answers are in this forum already but sometimes its difficult to find. I just feel the information in the forum needs to somehow be more coherent and easily accessible... what do other peepz think?? How can the forum be made better??

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Yes, Lots of the same q's are asked time and time again.

I have done a split charge thread, Which i needed help on, But has seemed to of done good as several people have used this thread and asked a couple of more questions. may not be perfect but most of the info needed is there.

Saves going over the full process time and time again.

Get some FAQ as stickys please T:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
this might be a daft idea to some
But when i joined id have payed my tenner a lot faster if you got a free T4 forum sticker
plus the t4 sticker is a good form of FREE advertising for the forum
ive never understood why people would want to pay for a product to advertise someone elses product for free
but people do every day with all sorts of products .

i just think offering a free sticker (when you stump up the tenner) is a good way of advertising the forum and makes the new member feel part of something it wouldnt take too much from the £10 mebership fee surely? also i really do think more people would pay the tenner to join and be more likely to post more often
i know its just a sticker but it just make the forum more welcomingl to us mere mortals who dont get involved with the forum activities and never see behind the scenes due to megga busy lives like myself
as for the tech sections where the £10 gets you ,as said before we need some of our £10 worth as a collective (big £££) we want the mods to make that area a lot lot better and easier to find the answers to our questions instead of hacked off members saying " use the search button " followed by 10 rollys eyes to make you feel small and stupid
You must remember that a lot of % of US users are **** on computers and havent got the time to traul through pages and pages of nearly answers your question posts .

good thred

·
Registered
29 Posts
as a newly registered member & t4 owner i hope i will not offend anyone with my comments and don't get me wrong i am grateful for this golden nugget of a forum it has helped me to no end and it feels good to be part of a vw community again since my long lost days of air cooled enjoyment however, i hope my input is productive and not overly critical, all i have to say is this:

1. needs organising ( can't stress this enough)

2. needs to be user friendly for all users

3. basic tech section improved (like cloudnine said)

4. some sort of reward scheme for registered members (maybe discounts with products & services from other registered members or sponsored companies or even stickers like TDI Dave said or a t-shirt would be nice!).

5. step-by-step picture based how to guides with pdf printouts

6. following on with the how to guides for beginner, intermediate, experiences and professional instalments

7. specific organisation of threads in a more finite topic list i.e, engines - how to service through to modifications, interior - how to insulate (why & with recommended materials) etc through to complete camper conversions etc etc etc

8. where to find materials etc, prices bargains members have found with links so we all get what we want without getting skint

9. abillity to change username if desired

10. workshops - organised by location. the real tech heads who deserve all respect for their knowledge and experience could help the rising generation by providing locally organised workshops. we would learn new skills, make new friends, save money and get a real good vibe going across the country stick a sticker in our van and feel proud to be a member

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd be inclined to agree, the forum could use well organised sticky tech sections, it would help those looking for what they need & stop some just telling you to go search. I've been about since the last forum & I still take hours sometimes to come up trumps with the search function. The biggest problem I see is the time involved for doing all this remembering no one gets paid for working the forum.

A free sticker or the like would be great & as said maybe a little more incentive to join. Another forum I use costs $30 to join & included in that price you get an exclusive Tshirt & a couple of exclusive stickers. I was looking for the merch the other day but it seems to have dwindled to just keyrings? :confused:

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
The direction of the forum is a bit like the course of a new river....as it gets bigger it will twist and turn, sometimes in directions not everyone wants. The forum has grown in terms of users for a number of reasons.

I also see that the forum does get some stick from (some)Vdub centric forums. This might be for a few reasons.

1) The T4/T5 are so 'new' and also front engined water cooled, and for some Vdubbers they dont fit in with what they see as 'the scene'. As a result those forums don't cater in such great depth as the T4 forum does. Other forums will of course be able to offer help and assistance. The more the merrier. I see many VW forums catering to T4s and 5s in the future as inevitably the 'scene' picks up on them more. Its bound to happen, and in many respects its already happening.

2) The language policy of the T4 forum. I am a single bloke, and I am not a prude. BUT I see no need for swearing on a forum. Not even part of a forum. I'm sorry, but I dont think swearing adds to a debate. I wouldnt swear in front of kids, or relatives, I wouldnt swear on a bus, in a train, in the street. I might swear when I was with friends, but a forum isnt the place for it. Its just not needed.

3) The T4 attracts a variety of people for a variety of reasons. The forum will never and can never cater for everyone. What is annoying is that when the forum does not cater for some people they feel the need to slag it of and criticise. Deal with it, move on. I am not into the VW 'scene'. I like vehicles of all kinds. I can't see myself ever restricting myself to one marque. I bought a T4 as I loved the shape, I loved the size, I loved the fact I could work on it, and I loved the fact I could afford it. Many people buy vans AS their hobby. Thats fine. I bought a T4 becuase it helped me do my hobby (sporting) better. Essentially many users of the T4 forum are similar. They have bought a T4 not because they are 'into' Vdubs, rather they are 'into' the vehicle and what it can bring to their lives. Thats is why the T4 forum will always attract a large number of people asking similar questions, as they are following a similar route to most of us. They are not buying a T4 to be part of a 'scene' they bought one to enjoy, it just happens to be a T4.

4) Some people prefer to be a big noise in a small group. Head above the parapet syndrome. I feel the T4 forum is welcoming to newbies, and hopefully will remain so. If you dont feel you fit in, then I do honestly hope you find somewhere you do feel happy.

5) As the T4 and 5 prove popular amongst both Vdub enthusiasts and others its easy for established VW forums to have a bash. Its understandable. The people on the T4 forum are not known to them, its easier to have a dig and a jibe and a joke against something than say on one forum you like another. Its like going to a party and telling the host you'd prefer to be at the party down the street. Best thing from the T4 forums perspective is to not be defensive, or even worried about these comments. Its understandable and its called 'life'.

Saying the forum isnt open to change brings me back to the first paragraph. I have seen the forum grow from a trickle to a river. It has meandered. It has continued to move forward, though not always in the direction everyone wants. As it gets bigger sometimes its harder to change course, and sometimes the difficult decision is not to change too much, too soon, too quickly. I think that as numbers grow, the number of people the forum can't please will also grow, its about percentages. If the forum can live with the fact it can't be all things to all people (and we KNOW that is the case as people have left for a number of reasons) but can please a lot of people, most of the time then that makes the T4 forum a place I want to visit.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The biggest problem I see is the time involved for doing all this remembering no one gets paid for working the forum.
How about spending some of our tenners to commission some comprehensive guides??

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
I am more than capable of doing any mechanical guides or how to's on this forum seeing as i have 22 years experience under my belt and have worked on T4's for 18 years,but the hitch i have is it takes up a lot of my personal time and i gain no financial reward.
The two threads that i have already done(golf TDI engine conversion and 5th gear upgrade)i wish that i hadnt bothered at all and kept this to myself,i have thought several times about pulling my threads.I would feel different about this is if i was somewhat involved in the technical side and commisioned to produce comprehensive guides for members and be there to help them out via PM's or even a hotline.
Originally i planned on doing many How to's but have decided not to for the time being.

I have not been approached by any administraters and i think they need to get thier heads together and move this forum forwards......

Recently i have changed what i do on the forum and i mainly use the pub and general T4chat and social side now more than replying to technical querries in the engine or brakes section...etc....I do feel this is a shame but why should i be making money for the forum with technical help when i pay my £10 and folk pay thier £10 for me and others to help them.
Where does the money go to? I dont see any of it and my membership cost of £10 was taken from my paypal account recently,dont you think that at least with all the technical help i give and offer that maybe an administrator could have PM'd me and said look mr.aggieT4's this year your membership is free for what you have technically given to this forum since you joined thankyou....but i cant even get an extension on my inbox:(

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here and aggie is deffo one of them. and the forum would absolutely bennefit from his expertise. ther are very very few people i would trust to work on my van but steve(aggiest4) is one of them.

so come on mods/admin lets utalise what we have here to the benefit of the forum and its future. T:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Right guys, I have NOT read all of this thread but what I have seems very positive A:

Please be patient this weekend though for replys as many are away at Beaulieu for T4/5 Fest :ILU:

Nina x

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here and aggie is deffo one of them. and the forum would absolutely bennefit from his expertise. ther are very very few people i would trust to work on my van but steve(aggiest4) is one of them.

so come on mods/admin lets utalise what we have here to the benefit of the forum and its future. T:
Here here, and I'm sure some would be willing to help file-sort some of the info that's already on the forum but takes some digging to find in return for a free year's subs.
(But not me, I'm **** with computers) Plus I'll have a free sticker please T:
P.S. what happened to the 'ultra vw T4 feature' link ?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Good ideas every one lets keep this thread positive and see what the response is on monday A:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The tech forums are in need of improvement as they are split into too many sections, it's a mission to find anything and posts don't get answered by someone coming across them, they have to be actiively looking to help out. That doesn't make much sense, I'll explain...

I post a question about my central looking playing up in 'Electrics' forum. Now, for someone to answer they also have to be in the electrics forum for a reason. If the tech forum was just 1 central forum then when someone else is trying to find out about their brakes they might come across my central looking problem thread and think 'ah, I know about that, I'll give him a quick thing to try'.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
There was a request for someone to scan a handbook for the forum. I spent a good few hours, staying late at work, scanning all my handbooks (10 or so of them?), turned them into pdfs and tried to get them onto the forum. I didn't have anywhere to host them as they'd turned out to be quite big files so I suggested I could email them to someone else to host. I had a bit of contact with one of the mods (can't remember who) who was going to try and sort something, they soon got bored and I never heard anything again. It took me around 5 hours to scan it all and it would have been really useful to people. Since then I've lost my enthusiasm to help I'm afraid.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I vaguelly remember that, it would certainly be handy for the ' my centre vents only blow cold air' queeries and other stuff which gets asked for when the answer is in the handbook.
I think the problem with that is some people don't get a handbook when buying their van (me included). There was a link on here somewhere that took you to a website where you could download one. I did this, but still ended up asking questions:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts