VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
freinds of mine are foster carers and i have been considering becoming one for quite some time,i love kids and feel i could put something back in to someones life whos had a pretty rough start,

couple of things have been putting me off,some of you may know i am a single parent (male)to a 14 year old boy,i have spoke to him about it and hes told me to go for it i would be a great carer, but while he is great boy with a great caring nature he is great with kids and coaches rugby to 5/6 year olds i fear incase he feels jealous as foster kids have had troubles in there life and it wouldnt be plain sailing and hes used to being an only child

another thing that has put me off filling the forms in is the fact that i am a single male and the stigma that may be attatched to that with a child,i know i have done a decent enough job of bringing up my own son but people just have this thing about single men and children,
my freinds have 2 foster sisters 10 years old who have had lets say some horrible things done to them and one of the sisters makes up random stuff she told my freinds wife that my freind had tried to strangle her-now his wife is there to back him up-but what if someone said something similar and there was only me,
they have the support of the foster agency and have to report incidents like this to them,i would really like to give this a go but unsure on the jealousy/put out thing with my son etc and these other issues

so if anyone on here has fostered or social work stuff any feedback/reassurance would be appreciated,thanks

·
Registered
683 Posts
My mate at work does this aswell bud, his wife is a social worker, I'll have a blether with him tonight & see what he says & let you know.

On the matter of your son, he sounds like a well adjusted young man & if he's behind you which you have stated then take his support & run with it! T:

·
Registered
737 Posts
we've been fostering for quite a few years now, highly recommend it, yes there are some issues raised but in the main nothing that you don't come accross with most children/teens.
there are horror stories i know but you social worker will tell you the facts and details about each case when you are approached, if you don't like what you heard then simply say no.
the single parent issue isn't there as i know several single parents that foster, you local authority will be able to pass you onto some of these in your own area, alot of fosterers will gladly invite you round for a cuppa and answer any or all of your questions, again the local authority will have a list of people willing to do this.
the form filling in is done primarily by your social worker in the onset and its more talking than writing normally anyway.
by the way i have 3 children now 17, 14 and 9, my eldest was 8 when we started and has never had a bad word to say about it.
if i can be of any further help please don't hesitate.
at the end of the day its a very rewarding thing to do, there are tears of course, but they're not all sad ones.
good luck.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
i was fostered for a short period of time when i was a teenager, lets just say they had the patience of saints and were great with me

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
l am a social worker and placed children with foster carers, also assessed and supported foster carers

if you feel you have the skills, patience, time, empathy, love, care and every other good quality you need as a parent, have a chat to your LEA Foster Care Service about becoming a carer

they are very skilled and experienced at this process, and will be honest with you if you are honest with them and discuss your reservations

they can assess and agree with you if you are successful, the types of placement you are able to offer

it is one of the most important jobs being a carer, make the call and see where it leads

good luck

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm a deputy manager of a social services childrens home, (emergency and assessment unit) and we have young people who after assessment would be very accepting to foster care, but due to their age and the lack of carers that will accommodate teenagers they remain in long term childrens homes, where thier behaviour gradually deteriorates, as they mix with other young people.

During the assessments carried out to ensure you meet the criteria of a foster carer your son will also be interviewed to ensure he is ready to share you with another non related child.

I considered fostering myself, but my folks and family live up north and i think nothing of getting in the car and heading north for the weekend, or getting in the van and heading to a festival or a show for the weekend. Fostering a child is a very big commitment as not only do you include the child in your family routines, gatherings, holidays etc, some continue to have contact with their own family members at weekends etc, which is mainly facilitated by the foster carer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts