1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Sent a message asking for more details, but heard nothing back. No other contact details or address on the advert, even though it's a business!
Not registered as a business, and buys not sells ........... sold a cheap mini over 3 months ago :*:*:*

Original paint ...................... reminds me of Triggers broom :D

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Hi all,

Been looking at this on the bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-TRANSPORTER-T4-2-5TDi-102BHP-DAY-VAN-ONLY-145k-miles-IMMACULATE/232456228521?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sent a message asking for more details, but heard nothing back. No other contact details or address on the advert, even though it's a business!

What to do? Does anyone know where this is?

You can let me know what you think of the van too, while you're at it :)

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim, Ebay have now changed their rules on both listing and messaging. Yo are no longer allowed to provide telephone number or email unless you are a registered trader. This is because they don't want to miss out on their end fee as well as their listing fee.

They have also put charges up and so many now won't accept Paypal as the fees and commission work out at nearly 10%.

As a result, if you are a seller, it is impossible to give out your contact details without being in breach - unless you are cunning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe he's only interested in people who click the "make offer" button then...

Does the van look any good? I'm relatively new to the T4 shopping experience, but up to press that looks one of the better ones?

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,045 Posts
Hi Jim, Ebay have now changed their rules on both listing and messaging. Yo are no longer allowed to provide telephone number or email unless you are a registered trader. This is because they don't want to miss out on their end fee as well as their listing fee.

They have also put charges up and so many now won't accept Paypal as the fees and commission work out at nearly 10%.

As a result, if you are a seller, it is impossible to give out your contact details without being in breach - unless you are cunning.
Make eBay and Paypal fees 15% and you would be closer. It is annoying when you have to pay it (my eBay fees are in excess of 3 figures every month) but it is the cost of trading - how much is rent on a shop? Have you seen the percentage Amazon takes if you sell on their marketplace?

It is hardly surprising eBay have made this change is it though, considering the number of people who have been using it to list items at no cost (you can list 200 items a month at no cost as a private individual) and selling outside of eBay through "cunning" as you like to call it. Why should eBay allow that to continue?

·
Bercow fan club
10,221 Posts
Make eBay and Paypal fees 15% and you would be closer. It is annoying when you have to pay it (my eBay fees are in excess of 3 figures every month) but it is the cost of trading - how much is rent on a shop? Have you seen the percentage Amazon takes if you sell on their marketplace?

It is hardly surprising eBay have made this change is it though, considering the number of people who have been using it to list items at no cost (you can list 200 items a month at no cost as a private individual) and selling outside of eBay through "cunning" as you like to call it. Why should eBay allow that to continue?
That is perhaps the case; but they're having less customers due to their ridiculous practises.
Never heard anything so stupid as not being able to give your number to interested parties.

·
8,045 Posts
That is perhaps the case; but they're having less customers due to their ridiculous practises.
Never heard anything so stupid as not being able to give your number to interested parties.
Hmmm, what would a company who is looking to make money prefer .... 100 customers paying nothing, or 10 customers paying 10% of the sales price?
That's a tricky one ....

·
Bercow fan club
10,221 Posts
Hmmm, what would a company who is looking to make money prefer .... 100 customers paying nothing, or 10 customers paying 10% of the sales price?
That's a tricky one ....
No sure, considering they own gumtree as well they must be a revenue without the ridiculous caveats.

Do eBay carry ads too? Oh yes they do don't they. Anyway I don't really care if I'm honest, rules are for plebs.. T:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
That's a tricky one ....
Here's the dilemma, I wanted to discuss an interior with a seller. I sent my tel number with a space between each one so that I could chat about what he had. Ebay picked it up and threatened to ban me. I spend approx 15k a year on ebay as I buy a lot of work stuff on there. It spooked the seller who pulled the sale. - sale fee lost.

I am now looking at another one but the seller again, can't send or post his number. - Result I have given up on it as there is no way I'm parting with £1500 quid on an item without seeing it or knowing more info.

If ebay want that policy, they should stick to brand new items. I know of no other sale method where a buyer cannot communicate with the seller for a high value used item. It will simply encourage the fraudsters as people pay for goods without question.

·
8,045 Posts
and if the seller said "if you buy outside of ebay, I'll knock £50 off" no doubt you would say "certainly not"?
Don't blame the messenger. And don't blame eBay, blame the people who abuse the eBay system and should be using Gumtree instead.
No sympathy TBH. Sellers of £1,500 items could easily make their contact details available to any interested parties simply be becoming Business Sellers. No extra fees involved, but they do lose the 29p insertion fee saving.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
and if the seller said "if you buy outside of ebay, I'll knock £50 off" no doubt you would say "certainly not"?
Don't blame the messenger. And don't blame eBay, blame the people who abuse the eBay system and should be using Gumtree instead.
No sympathy TBH. Sellers of £1,500 items could easily make their contact details available to any interested parties simply be becoming Business Sellers. No extra fees involved, but they do lose the 29p insertion fee saving.
.....and tax at whatever rate the seller currently pays. If you register as a business seller, HMRC will want to charge you tax on "profits". That means you will have to keep accounts. The fact that the HMRC don't know until you tell them (or someone else does) just means you would be building a potential tax problem.

·
8,045 Posts
.....and tax at whatever rate the seller currently pays. If you register as a business seller, HMRC will want to charge you tax on "profits". That means you will have to keep accounts. The fact that the HMRC don't know until you tell them (or someone else does) just means you would be building a potential tax problem.
fair point.

maybe a seller could sell their business card (contact info) for £1.00? so you interested in a pricey item, you buy their business card first :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, since the seller hasn't answered any of my messages anyway it hardly matters.

Shame, I rather fancied travelling hundreds of miles to look at a van that I like superficially, even though I wouldnt have a clue what to look for...

Went to lok at a Vito the other week (i know i know) and the guy started the engine and popped the bonnet., I did that bloke thing of looking at it... like you do...

Not the foggiest. All diesels sound broken to me :)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Yeah, I get where you are coming from but Ebay need to do something, that's 2 items now that could have been sold through them. In this case the seller has just messaged me and told be to search gumtree as he has now put it on there so I can at least contact him. That means I will have found it on ebay but may now buy it off ebay anyway, so hasn't stopped it !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts