VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently stuck in France with a busted van!

The van has been in the garage twice with the same problen twice; progressively worse engine timing resulting in terrible black smoke and ultimately the engine not running. The last time it made it only 20 miles before stopping. The garage say they don't know how long or costly it's going to be to fix.

No Im not insured!

So two quick questions:

1) How much might it cost to repatriate the van from central France?

2) How much is the van worth. An R reg 1900 turbo panel van, 150,000 miles, reasonable nick, sliding door window and an amateur bed conversion inside.

Do i ship it back or not?

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
ive had a similar situation with a customer in france, with an 05 plate caravelle, with my limited french i was able to get him booked in with and local dealer they have replaced an injector, (havent taken the **** over the costing either) and hes on route home after not having all his holiday destroyed, so all in all not too bad really.

as for getting it back on the back of a wagon, cost for that would be quite scarey

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
not good to hear,you obviously have access to the internet ?? log on to the aa or rac and get breakdown cover with european cover as you are going on holiday this friday - get the garage to tow you to a campsite-enjoy your holiday till tuesday/wednesday next week then call up saying you have broken down and get them to bring you home I:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
not good to hear,you obviously have access to the internet ?? log on to the aa or rac and get breakdown cover with european cover as you are going on holiday this friday - get the garage to tow you to a campsite-enjoy your holiday till tuesday/wednesday next week then call up saying you have broken down and get them to bring you home I:
cheeky yes but cracking idea something I have done myself in the past;)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
where in france are you, i'll be coming back on monday and could tow you onto the euro tunnel to get you out of the country?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
where in france are you, i'll be coming back on monday and could tow you onto the euro tunnel to get you out of the country?
Top man Phatty. This is what the forum is really about. What an offer!

The AA / RAC breakdown is probably a good option too. They will charge a premium if they know (or find out) you are already there, but they would probably take it to a local garage first anyway rather than repatriate.

A good reminder for anyone heading over to France, etc. to get breakdown cover - it's so easy to forget.

Good luck. T:

·
Registered
161 Posts
oh so true!!! better to have the cover than worry later it is a false economy..

good luck with the van m8 hope its not too bad. and as others have said the main dealer is your best hope they alledgedly have the knowledge..

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi.

what a great offer!

However I would check that it is legal to "tow" a disabled vehicle on the continent, I have a sneaky feeling it's not legal, (somewhere in the dim and distant past I'm sure I had a reason to find out)
I think it has to be physically off the road (Trailer/low loader) but I could be wrong.

I would hate for you to get stopped and get a hefty fine (on the spot fine) on top of everything else that's happened.

Oh and you cannot be recovered by your own recovery service on the French Autoroutes, (they are privately owned) you have to pay up front and claim the cost back from your breakdown service!

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your help.

We're back home now, but the van is still in the garage in France.

Interestingly we took it to the VW garage thinking it would be safer, but it is them who have screwed us over. Firstly sending us out in a van that had't been fixed, only to break down 20kms away. Then trying to charge us to get towed back to the garage. Then locking us in the garage by accident (due to **** communication) over their 2hr lunch break!

Does anyone know how i go about writing a nasty letter to VW and where it is best to be sent. Anyone have any experience of writing such letter and get any results.

Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ever so much for the offer, that is very kind.

However, i don't think my nerves could take a full day of being towed after the time we had!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your grief:(

You could try http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ for a letter template?

Good luck!

Thanks all for your help.

We're back home now, but the van is still in the garage in France.

Interestingly we took it to the VW garage thinking it would be safer, but it is them who have screwed us over. Firstly sending us out in a van that had't been fixed, only to break down 20kms away. Then trying to charge us to get towed back to the garage. Then locking us in the garage by accident (due to **** communication) over their 2hr lunch break!

Does anyone know how i go about writing a nasty letter to VW and where it is best to be sent. Anyone have any experience of writing such letter and get any results.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
It's not legal to tow on most highways on the continent, every country has their own ruleset (like rules for France don't apply to Germany).

As for your France story, i did bust the tranny on my '99 Syncro in France, was quote 4500 EUR for a new one and 2500 EUR to tow it back to Ireland, so I scrapped it.

The RAC/AA deal is usually the best route. Just check the terms and conditions before you sign up. I got stung once on a term, that said I was only covered outside Ireland 24 hours after I signed up. Reporting it in before that would be fatal in that case.

/M

·
Registered
290 Posts
Where in France are you?

Keep us posted on what happens to your van, im in Germany so if you decide its too expensive to fix/ship back I might "scrap" it for you.

Sound like im being a bit of a vulture but I hope you can get it fixed/ sorted and have a good holiday to boot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts