VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, any body got ball park figure on taking t5 28 with me, wife and dog, across to france, ferry or tunnel from dover, about 6.00am weekday, will be in march, no trailer, no roof rack, standard van. happy daysI:

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
About £100 each way with Norfolkline/DFDS Dover Dunkirque T:

·
Super Moderator
9,215 Posts
I always find it cheaper with eurotunnel to take the van across when working over there and you don't have to flap about getting in and out of the van:)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I always find it cheaper with eurotunnel to take the van across when working over there and you don't have to flap about getting in and out of the van:)
We used the tunnel in the summer, £170 return I think. Brilliant with the dog, didnt fancy the ferry with her.

As mentioned above - have you got pet passport sorted? We have another one to get now :(

·
Registered
802 Posts
we've just booked to go in August dover-calais, me , wife and 3 kids plus 26ft caravan £150 return!!!cheap as chips!T:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Pet passports easier from 1st jan 2012 theres a few changes for the better

Euro tunnel way to go , Used it in oct 2010 ,great job
Are you going far ? useing alot of Tolls ?
If so look up http://www.tolltickets.com
Used them on trip to spain , very recommended for Tolls on Motorways made life so easy no looking for euros or paying with card ,They send you the bill when you get home ,T:

·
Registered
25 Posts
If, as your details indicate, are in west wales the other thing to consider is your exit point and where you're heading in france.

If your're off to west coast france then a drive all the way to folks/dover and then back across france to the atlantic is a load of time and a load of diesel. (and tolls!)

Plymouth, portsmouth, newhaven are all nearer to you but the boat will be more expensive and of course not the convenience and frequency of th euro tunnel.

Portsmouth has a lot of routes and at least there's competition on prices.

FWIW we went newhaven dieppe last year in sept and it was about £100 single each way. (Transmanche)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did a £48 return Dover to Dunkirque in my 7 based kit car june july time left on a thursday returned the following tuesday after a trip to the Ring

·
Registered
71 Posts
ave been over a few times on the tunnel with my t5. said it was a camper. on average £65 for a 2 day return as long as you are outside of school holidays. if on a school holiday expect tunnel to be about 120+. has always worked out about the same as a ferry or cheaper as a campervan and is quicker and less weather effected I:. as others have said you can get quotes off all the websites so have a look. either euro tunnel or norfolk line are the cheapest

HTH

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
we use DFDS ([email protected] boat/cafe but it's less than 2 hrs so who cares) and book as a camper - less than £100 return in June/July for the van and passengers....but it's whopping £30 each way for the pooch and she is confined to the van...rip off, but they're still the cheapest. the tunnel's often close in price and we might do that this year.

Actually the cost for dog is the admin and checking for her microchip and vet certificates on return.

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Pet passports easier from 1st jan 2012 theres a few changes for the better

Euro tunnel way to go , Used it in oct 2010 ,great job
Are you going far ? useing alot of Tolls ?
If so look up http://www.tolltickets.com
Used them on trip to spain , very recommended for Tolls on Motorways made life so easy no looking for euros or paying with card ,They send you the bill when you get home ,T:
I dont understand the point of this?
Whats the problem with sticking your credit card in the toll???

What advantages are there?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Can you use the Chunnel if you have gas bottles on board? I thought they had restrictions hence LPG converted vehicles were not allowed.
Good news though on pet passports, my mum moved to the dordogne and it was as shame leaving the mutts behind when I was working on her house.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ok probley no saveings to be had with "Toltickets"
But some times there is Tailbacks if tolls busy with Tolltickets just pull into empty TToll lane and sail on through
If you going on holiday its less stress :)
I used it from Eurotunnel down to spain
Had quite a few tolls to go through saved a bit of time too
If you rather use card its ok too
If was going back "tollticket" T: all the way
Did 3500miles round trip in one week was great worst bit was comeing home traffic on M6 !!!

Book as car if you have rear seats as kombies come up as vans on alot of ferry systems , used to say was a van but why pay the extra money not fair when caravelles get on as car rate , would chance car or camper van and if pulled just pay at port I:
Good luck T:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts