VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on a tour down to South of France next year. If anyone has any useful or imortant tips or best places to stop please let me know. Sitting here with the maps trying to do a really good route and take in as much a s possible.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Take First aid kit, HI VIS Vests including passengers, Warning triangle, Bulb Kit, Fire extinguisher & Headlight Deflectors.
Watch out for variable speeds on Toll roads & Autorutes especially when wet.

Aires du service offer a reasonably priced overnite halt & can be found here.

http://www.airecampingcar.com/

Try to keep to the speed limits as the Gendarmarie can be quite keen & it's on the spot fines.

Oh & Drive on the Right ;) :D

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Don't take offence or get road rage at the way the French drive its just the way they are, drive defensively and make sure you have all your paperwork in order including copies of the V5 and the paper part of your licence. Make sure you have your EHIC cards and adequate health and breakdown insurance. Most insurers give 90 days free Euro cover but its usually 3rd party only. Get it uprated to full cover. Get a Camping Card International (CCI Card) from the Camping and Caravan club. It acts as ID without you having to handover passports at sites. Safety in numbers! Try to stay on main sites or any of the motor home pullovers. France is well geared up for vans and motor homes so there is no need to stay anywhere you might be a target. Enjoy yourself, you will love it!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If you need to go anywhere quick don't take the scenic routes I:
Beautifull but the journies can take forever as we found out to our cost (in time). If you do use the peage roads stick your credit card in and the barriers open insatntly. Don't know how they have the time to read all the details :confused: but they do. Cuts the queues if there are any.

Try this campsite near Saumur in the Loire. Can't recommend it highly enough:
www.campingleserpolin.com

You could do worse than heading to Bordeaux and then over to the coast towards Mimizan. From there you could shoot off down to Biarritz/Pau area and then to the Spanish border.

Most of all have fun where ever you end up T:T:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Take First aid kit, HI VISIBILTY Vests including passengers, Warning triangle, Bulb Kit, Fire extinguisher & Headlight Deflectors.
Which of them are a legal requitrment in France, Italy, Germany, etc. I thought you could just point the main beams towards the floor to get away with not buying the Headlight Deflectors.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re. the high viz vests, you need to carry sufficient vests for all the vehicle occupants and they must be within reach - not tucked away at the back somewhere. The theory is that in the event of a breakdown you're able to put on the vests without having to get out of the vehicle, makes sense really.

~ Craig (in dept 62, Pas de Calais)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just come back from a 2 week trip to south of france, via Chamonix. Clocked up 2,500 miles in the 2 weeks (van ran like a dream with no problems......didn't even burn any oil!).

Anyway, I'm sure the Aires suit most people but we used an Aire near Orange for one night only.....and 2 b*stards tried to break into the van....while we were sleeping in it:( They quickly ran off when my naked missus interrupted themI: I'm sure we were just unlucky but if I had to use an Aire again I would use one of the major service station ones that have security cameras.....and leave an interior light on.

The only other thing I would advise is to avoid this weekend. The first weekend in August is the traditional French holiday getaway weekend and the roads down south are choked. Fortunately we missed the carnage by 24 hours, but 65km traffic jams are not what you want on your hols.

Other than that, all the previous posts contain good advice and some useful links. Go for it....we'll be doing it again next yearT:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Go check this out http://www.lacserreponcon.com/

We found a really nice little site call Lou Pibou, which looked over the lake. Loads of water sports to do on the lake and if thats not enough the site seems to be a mecca for Para sending so if you are brave, mad or just curious you can go for tamdom flight or just watch them floating around in the thermals all day. Worth a visit if you are going that way and if you get fed up with cooking they do amazing Pizza :)

We spent a few day here on our last tour of France and will definately go back! This time with a T4 not an Astra like last time! I:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If you need to go anywhere quick don't take the scenic routes I:
Beautifull but the journies can take forever as we found out to our cost (in time). If you do use the peage roads stick your credit card in and the barriers open insatntly. Don't know how they have the time to read all the details :confused: but they do. Cuts the queues if there are any.

Try this campsite near Saumur in the Loire. Can't recommend it highly enough:
www.campingleserpolin.com

You could do worse than heading to Bordeaux and then over to the coast towards Mimizan. From there you could shoot off down to Biarritz/Pau area and then to the Spanish border.

Most of all have fun where ever you end up T:T:
What credit card do you have? I never had much luck with cards in France with the tolls or self service fuel. Always have to stick to cash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts