VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put my first filtered batch of used vege oil into my van, the new oil seemed ok, so here goes! Bet she's gonna smell beautifull! :ILU:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just put my first filtered batch of used vege oil into my van, the new oil seemed ok, so here goes! Bet she's gonna smell beautifull! :ILU:
Hey good luck mate, i've just started my first batch of filtering. Was wondering what process you've done? I bought a set of 3 filters from the Bay with the finest being 5 microns after a 25 then a 10. did your oil stay dark as mine has? and have you done anything else to the oil before you put it in the tank? I'm intending to add bought oil and some diesel to thin it some more anyway. I'm assuming that 5 microns is fine enough, anyone know different?

cheers
Rob.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would advise mixing the used oil with diesel around 50/50 in this weather as i had a problem with it waxing up in the past. i've never had a problem with the fresh oil though which is what i stick to now.T:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just visually checked the oil to make sure there wasn't any chips left in there, then poured it through a 5 micron filter sock. Looked great once filtered, didn't look too dark, but then the oil wasn't that old. Didnt have much fuel left in the van so i just tipped in 5 litres of the filtered stuff to see if she ran ok. Took her out for a drive yesterday an she seemed fine. I'm only intending on running at 50/50 max anyway. Happy days! :ILU:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like yours is a bit more thorough than mine! I did pour mine into a clear container(i actually used a demijon) and let it sit for a day to see if there was any water in it. Good luck with yours! T:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi Dougalvan, hows your van running now on the oil? i've put 10ltrs of new oil in mine to mix with approx 10ltrs diesel as its only sat on my drive for winter till i tax it again for the summer. Just started it up for a run and it did'nt want to start as easy as usual and when it did, big clouds of black smoke till it settled down but still smoked more than ever before. Have you had any issues like this? Be good to know if i've cocked it up somehow!

Rob.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that doesn't sound too good buddy! what oil was it you put in, and was it new oil? Mine has been behaving herself, not been puttin much in as i'm still trying to get my oil filtered to a condition that i'm happy with. Will prolly have more success when i can spend more time in the garage without getting hypothermia! T:

·
Registered
332 Posts
been using filtered in my van for the last month now done nearly 3ooo miles 50/50 mix runs sweet as so well happy bit smelly tho lol. iv got a 2.4D loving it as its making a difference on the pocket :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
that doesn't sound too good buddy! what oil was it you put in, and was it new oil? Mine has been behaving herself, not been puttin much in as i'm still trying to get my oil filtered to a condition that i'm happy with. Will prolly have more success when i can spend more time in the garage without getting hypothermia! T:
It was new oil from Lidl, says veg. oil on the bottle but advertised in the shop as 100% rapeseed. Not got enough old filtered yet to try. I have started it since though with no such dramas:* except taking 2 or 3 attempts to start which it never did before. Could it be that its not stayed mixed and the oil has sunk to the bottom, its parked up on the drive for winter at the moment so maybe thats summat to do with it?

Rob.

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just stick it in the tank, been running about 50/50 and has been starting fine and runs as well as it did before. T:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Sounds like yours is a bit more thorough than mine! I did pour mine into a clear container(i actually used a demijon) and let it sit for a day to see if there was any water in it. Good luck with yours! T:
it would take like 6 weeks for the oil to separate from the veg oil unless you heat it up or use a gyro to spin and separate the two apart as its to thick to do it in one day

a heat exchanger helps but only when the engine has warmed up the coolant, unless you have a kenlowe hotstart which would heat the van ready for ignition but that is pluged into the 240v main supply. most probs are caused by the cold and the initial start up once t4 is running should be fine

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have started leaving mine to settle for a couple of weeks now before syphoning the good stuff off and putting it through a 5M filter sock. All part of the learning curve!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just visually checked the oil to make sure there wasn't any chips left in there, then poured it through a 5 micron filter sock. Looked great once filtered, didn't look too dark, but then the oil wasn't that old. Didnt have much fuel left in the van so i just tipped in 5 litres of the filtered stuff to see if she ran ok. Took her out for a drive yesterday an she seemed fine. I'm only intending on running at 50/50 max anyway. Happy days! :ILU:
You would be MAD not to settle the oil to ensure no water is present, water can be hidden at a micro level and not obvious and any water will kill your pump.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Another thing to note, dino and veg oil does not mix well in the tank and you can end up with the oil and dino seperating.

Best advice is to mix oil and dino outside and then pour it into your tanks.

alternativily do a propper twin tank system with HE and use it neat :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi just reading about useing cooking oil not had a go yet. Been a diesel engineer for a long time so if you have a lot of smoke it can only be Black= excess burnt fuel ,White= excess unburnt fuel or Blue=burnt oil

·
Registered
9 Posts
what happens if your allergic to rapeseed oil..lol... what are the best types of oil to mix with and is there an easy care guide for mixing oild and how to mix etc?...

fairly new to the game...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts