VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want some free insulation? Just finished my conversion (Well the interior) I have about 1/2 ish of a roll left of earthwool (glass) sure you know but it's fire retardant, non absorbent etc, free for collect before I take it to the dump it site Sheffield area message me if you are interested

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I'll think you'll find (someone correct me if I'm wrong) peeps avoid that stuff as it holds in moisture...
B and Q recycled plastic is the way to go T:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Absorbancy and holding water are two different things.
No it does not soak up water, what a number of fibre based insulations can do is hold water by surface tension between two (or more) adjacent fibres.
It came out (was found) in cavity wall insulation when it was found that some fibre products were causing wet/damp spots on interior walls. On breaking open the wall the insulation was frequently found to be dripping wet. I'm not sure but I think it was partly to do with how the fibres sit alongside each other when squeezed into a tight space. Plus of course that the installed insulation blocked the previously active ventilation that kept things dry.
There are various web pages on this.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Absorbency is when the moisture soaks into the product.
Holding water is what a bucket does.
You have seen reflective film on windows? One method of holding it in place is with water. It sits as a layer between the two surfaces. It is not absorbed by either side they are held in place by surface tension (I think there might be a proper word for it though)
The same can happen with fibres and the moisture can sit where two or more fibres' sit alongside each other.
Some fibres seem more problematic than others, I think its to do with their ability to spring apart (or not). It also depends on where and how they are fitted.
If you do a search (as suggested) you will find articles that suggest some fibre's can just form together into a wet mass if there is inadequate ventilation. Blown fibreglass exibited this problem in some cavity wall insulation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers pal, not too worried as I've covered every panel with reflective insulation and covered all joints with reflective tape, so id say it's air tight, then covered with ply and then carpet. But I'll deposit the rest at the dump it site, cheers for the comments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts