VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just got back from a couple of weeks in France and I think I got flashed a couple of times by those sneaky french speed cameras. My fault, I wasn't paying enough attention on the toll roads and I got caught out by not noticing the speed dropping from 130 to 110 on the bendy bits :(

What come back can I expect from this (if any)?

Ta

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not completly sure but think there is a lot more eurocooperation these days.

DVLA will come hunting you for the money and apply the sanctions on behalf of the other European states - might find yourself with no licence.

Strangely enough because i have a green not a pink UK licence they cannot touch me.

Also remember that you MUST turn off any speed camera warning software on your GPS before you go to France now

A while back you could buy an IGN (their OS) map that showed where they all are.

The other one to be aware of is they use speed averaging on the payage.

So if you engage warp drive the consequences will be on your credit card at the next booth. It's why you see loads of French biker sorts lounging in the aires just before the booths

Rhys

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Got flashed 3 times in FranceT:, just got back. Dont worry they cant enforce the fine over in the UKT:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I am sooooooooooooooooo gutted - been slowing down for the grey boxes when I could have just hit loud and giggled.

The mobile ones are another ball game though, they take you to the cash point and mug tou for the money.

Rhys

·
Registered
520 Posts
There are cameras now near the ports, about 20kms out, that will flash you if you speed and the Les Flicks will pull you over at the peage as you try to get home and they will fine you on the spot. Otherwise, bar mobile speed traps, you will be fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I missed one last summer and saw the flash. Spent the next 24 hours ed off and worried. I had completely forgotten about it until I read the subject line of your thread, over a year later.

Imagine you'll be fine...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The other one to be aware of is they use speed averaging on the payage.

So if you engage warp drive the consequences will be on your credit card at the next booth. It's why you see loads of French biker sorts lounging in the aires just before the booths
What a load of rubbish that is!
There are currently one set of average speed cameras in France, which were implemented this year. And the amount of problems and complaints had about them not functioning accurately resulted in them being suspended, and many points and fines refunded.
The payage companies are private companies anyway, and therefore have absolutely no policing rights for speed offences on their roads.
As far as average speeds between toll booths is concerned, thats a complete fairytale.

With regards to fixed cameras, i live in France, and although i still receive the fines for speeding, i still dont get the points. the French just have no way currently of issuing points on an English licence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts