VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LWB T5 converted by Camper King.
I've noticed when I fill the fresh water tank using a hose, that quite a lot of water continues to run out under the van after I've filled it.
I assume this is the overflow, but it also comes out when I brake.
I spoke to Camper King and they assured me this was normal, and advised filling the tank when I get to a campsite rather than when I leave home.
This seemed a bit odd to me, what happens if you're wild camping?
I find the gauge never reads full, and is down to about a third full after travelling any distance.

Is this normal?

Jim

·
Registered
245 Posts
Seems strange to me. My tank vents through the filler neck. There is a small 10mm pipe that runs up from the tank along side the filler pipe, and I have never had any overflow from the tank it self.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,765 Posts
Different converters do it different ways. I recall Autosleepers used to just make a couple of big holes in the tops of their tanks, so they would behave much like you say.

It's not IMO a great way to do it, because you tend to end up with road grit and spray getting into the tank, which over many thousands of miles can make the inside of the tank almost as filthy as the outside...

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,166 Posts
Different converters do it different ways. I recall Autosleepers used to just make a couple of big holes in the tops of their tanks, so they would behave much like you say.

It's not IMO a great way to do it, because you tend to end up with road grit and spray getting into the tank, which over many thousands of miles can make the inside of the tank almost as filthy as the outside...
Ughh. Doesn't sound nice, could end up with a dead mouse floating in there (like you get the odd dead bird or rodent in a loft tank ) :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a LWB T5 converted by Camper King.
I've noticed when I fill the fresh water tank using a hose, that quite a lot of water continues to run out under the van after I've filled it.
I assume this is the overflow, but it also comes out when I brake.
I spoke to Camper King and they assured me this was normal, and advised filling the tank when I get to a campsite rather than when I leave home.
This seemed a bit odd to me, what happens if you're wild camping?
I find the gauge never reads full, and is down to about a third full after travelling any distance.

Is this normal?

Jim
Hi Jim,

I know this is a very post, but yours is the only one I’ve found online that relates exactly to the problem I’m facing with my T5 camperking conversion! I filled up the fresh water tank with the hose at home, then I drove an hour or so and used the tap to wash up a couple of plates that evening and then the tank was empty! Did you ever resolve the issue? Also, how do you drain the fresh water tank and the waste water tank? When using the sink does the grey water outlet cap need to be open for the sink to drain? My sink only seems to drain when it’s open :/

Hoping you’ll see this message!

Thanks,
Jess

1 - 6 of 6 Posts