VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I have a fridge that isn’t turning on. It can usually run with out anything being on, so that to me says it can run direct from the car battery, as I don’t have to switch on my leisure battery panel for it to work.
Now there is a 30amp mid link fuse running directly from the battery in the engine bay, would it be this? Just want an idea before I start messing about
Cheers

·
Special Rapporteur
10,740 Posts
How it's wired will depend on the person that wired it up and also what type of fridge you have.

Making the assumption that it's a compressor fridge and not a 3-way fridge, and that it was installed professionally, it would be very unusual for it to be wired to the vehicle battery. The main reason for this is that if you wire it that way and you forget to switch off your fridge it will run down the vehicle battery until it's too flat to start the engine.

So the convention with a professional conversion is to connect it to the leisure battery, and to do that in such a way that you can't accidentally turn it off and spoil the contents of your fridge. That means wiring it directly to the leisure battery (via a fuse, obviously) rather than via the 12V control panel - that way it will stay on even when the control panel is turned off.

The connection to the vehicle battery with 30A fuse is probably the split charge circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How it's wired will depend on the person that wired it up and also what type of fridge you have.

Making the assumption that it's a compressor fridge and not a 3-way fridge, and that it was installed professionally, it would be very unusual for it to be wired to the vehicle battery. The main reason for this is that if you wire it that way and you forget to switch off your fridge it will run down the vehicle battery until it's too flat to start the engine.

So the convention with a professional conversion is to connect it to the leisure battery, and to do that in such a way that you can't accidentally turn it off and spoil the contents of your fridge. That means wiring it directly to the leisure battery (via a fuse, obviously) rather than via the 12V control panel - that way it will stay on even when the control panel is turned off.

The connection to the vehicle battery with 30A fuse is probably the split charge circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.