VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Webasto Isotherm fridge in my T5 camper that runs off the leisure battery that's powered by the solar panels on the roof. I don't have an EH. I noticed this weekend that the light comes on inside the fridge but the compressor started firing up intermittently. There's no rhyme nor reason and I've tried the thermostat at all the numbers I can!- 1-7 but there's no consistency. I have had enough power (12-13v) as the sun had been on the panel all day and I'd been driving around, yet still it now didn't come on. Also the lock on the tailgate no longer opens with the key - It doesn't even try to make a noise like it's making an effort to open. I don't know if that's just a coincidence or if they could be related.

Anyone have any ideas or know of any auto electricians who are experienced with T5 conversions in the Surrey/SW London area?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had pretty well exactly the same issue. The solution was a replacement control unit (apparently they 'go' regularly).
I don't know whether this will help as my fridge was a Waeco but I know the Danfoss compressor/control unit is used by various manufacturers.

Of course a new fridge is about £500 so I figured it was worth a punt and it worked.
This is the thingy: Genuine Danfoss SECOP 12V 24V Electronic Control Unit Waeco Dometic Fridge BD35F | eBay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply - turns out it was the switch. We took the panel off and the aux switch that controls the fridge had a short in the connections. Still haven't sorted the tailgate / key issue but happy to have a working fridge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts