VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
A humble request for your advice please:
Going for a basic conversion for my 100k exAA SWB T4. Just a roof (Austop); insulate, line & carpet; leisure batt & split charger; full width RnR; sink & fridge. Because I'm not a hairdryer, telly or gadget kinda gal (brought up in a country cul de sac see!) I reckon I only need electric to run a fridge or cool box so I'm keeping things simple without gas nor hook up etc.
So...
1. Can you foresee any problems with this approach?
2. What's my best option for a fridge / cool box without gas nor hook up?

(Folks am also trying to buy a house at the mo so budget-wise everything's creaking!)

Thanks as ever,
WW

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Get yourself a decent cooler that will keep ice For five days (Coleman xtreme etc) and throw a couple of bags of ice in it.
Will do you for a long weekend easily.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
We used a cool box run of the battery and it worked well last summer for are milk and stuff

I do think this summer we need maybe 2 because the kids always want cold drinks lol

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Wot no hairstraightners? heheheee

Ok, so in a previous van I had a Waeco 21ltr cool box, real good but about £180 (12v and 240v)
But I didn't really get the benifit of it, so in the current bus I got a 'mini cooler' which is by no means a fridge, but it will cool down to approx 20 degrees C below the ambient temperature. And if the van is insulated then it should be quite cool inside anyway.

The one I got now is a small one at 6ltr but enough for milk, butter, chocolate, and takes a 75cl bottle of wine too!
Mini-coolers go from a tiny 4ltr up to around 18ltr, and run from 240v and 12v.
What I do is cool the fridge down at home from the mains then whip it in the van and switch to 12v- simple and easy- but its not got fridge performance but they are good value (£20 upto £100)

Hope this is of some help chick, x

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use this: Waeco 12v/240v coolbox.

http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/waeco_mobicool_u32_ac_dc_thermoelectric_cool_box__97_102_2429

When the engine is running, i plug it into cigarette socket and run of my battery.
When at campsite, I have an extension cord from hook-up to socket which i plug fridge into so can run 24hrs.
This fridge I have no problems with, cools very well and keeps everything cold (sometime too cold!). Coped fine left in a tent in France, which did get quite hot during the day.

Good price as well.

Like any coolbox, run for at least 12hrs at home to chill it down before taking it out

·
Registered
116 Posts
if you fancy a three-way ,try a scrappy or s/hand caravan yard scrap prices r really good a t mo you might get lucky if you put a leisure battery in you could run 3-way on it if it looks a bit funky a few cans of spray paint will sort it , its a really good idea to get this in your van first then all other build ideas wont have to messed about with if you can't live with a cool box ,the difference being one is cool the other is cold. hope this helps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
if you fancy a three-way ,try a scrappy or s/hand caravan yard scrap prices r really good a t mo you might get lucky if you put a leisure battery in you could run 3-way on it if it looks a bit funky a few cans of spray paint will sort it , its a really good idea to get this in your van first then all other build ideas wont have to messed about with if you can't live with a cool box ,the difference being one is cool the other is cold. hope this helps.
Bit upfront asking for a three way LOL:
Sorry just made me chuckle when I read that first line hahaha

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Goodness what a holistic approach...
Never imagined I'd be on tenter-hooks logging on for advice on fridges!
Cheers folks & keep 'em coming ;-)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought a Gampingaz 25l Smart Cooler the other day, along with an ice block, it runs of 12v or 230v with built in transformer. Chilled on the mains pretty quick. My plan is to pre chill it before leaving, can keep cooling wilst on the move. If on site can run into 230, or tup up on the leisure when needed. I'm not planning in staying in one place for more than a couple of nights so will prob be fine without any mains.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Forgot to add, it was about £56.00
There were some cheaper, but if you add on the cost of the transformer it makes it pretty reasonable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts