VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Hi Paul I had the exact same problem was going to change fridge for a gas one, then I spoke to someone about problem and was told to buy a 10amp, 12v to 24v DC to DC converter from Ebay very little money 拢16. Fitted it to the 12v from battery to wire into fridge works a treat now on 24/7 without plugging in van to 240v
I hope he's fixed his fridge problem by now, it will be well & truely defrosted by now !!馃榾

Special Rapporteur
It's a solution that I would consider only with caution. It may mean that the fridge can run with the battery at a lower state, but unfortunately you will get significant losses in the step-up device (the fact that it has a big heatsink is a hint about this) and if the battery is low, it probably won't be long until it's dead anyway! IMO a better solution is bigger wiring, directly to the battery.

Registered
The voltage measured at the battery is not the same as the voltage measured at the fridge, more difference during startup surge. Heavier direct via fuse cable needed to reduce this as per the manual.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts