VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As promised to a couple of guys on here and also maybe a reference for others out there.
Not going to turn this into a slagging off CMC topic as I don't want it deleted;)

Van is 95/96 LWB hardboard lined, 12mm ply floor with carpet, 2 single seats up front. Original spring height of van from wheel arch to centre of wheel 405mm

Story goes~

Ordered CMC-60 HD springs advertised to 'still carry 1200kg' in weight (maybe a bit naive on my part?)
But wasn't happy with the supposed weight handling so I bought the Eibach -40 springs, comparison~

CMC -60 HD Spring

Eibach -45 Spring on the left (Standard T4 spring on the right)

CMC -60 HD on an unloaded van (drops suspension 40mm)

Eibach -45 on an unloaded van (drops suspension 25mm)

The CMC -60 springs dropped my van 40mm to 365mm whilst unloaded which was acceptable as I knew they were HD.
My job is transporting quite heavy equipment, sometimes up around the 1200kg mark but very rare. As the CMC springs were advertised to 'still carry1200kg' i thought these springs were a god send especially at a price of around £75 delivered.

After loading the van with 550kg (all my equipment has to be weighed for my job) the suspension dropped 70mm to 335mm. Obviously I was expecting a drop but thought there was no way these springs would take 1200kg

So I thought about using another rubber plate at the top of the spring just to give it a boost and a guy on here (Chris) gave me some rubber mat which I cut out and inserted above the other rubber plate as seen here

This raised the unloaded van up 15mm so my new ride height was 380mm

I loaded the van up to see what would happen and I suddenly found that adding another 61kg (611kg) it bottomed the van out so it sat solid on the bumpstops

As my equipment can vary from job to job I knew these springs would be no good, even tried spring assister inserts which did help but I didn't want to mess about anymore especially as I already had the 2 rubber plates inserted!

So I got my money back from CMC, the guy never gave me an explanation about why he states the springs 'still carry 1200kg'.

I learnt the hard way!

Last week I fitted the Eibach springs, bit more money at £156 but well worth it.
As I said above the unloaded drop was 25mm bringing it to exactly the same as the CMC -60 with 2 rubber plates helping them.

So both springs unloaded the ride sat at 380mm
Here's a picture of the Eibach springs with 664kg! (remember the CMC springs bottomed out at 611kg)

In the second picture you'll notice the smaller pigtail springs are no longer in use and the weight is being taken by the thicker rings. The thicker rings on the CMC springs are bunched together just by the load of the van.

The ride on both springs whilst unloaded is very good, when both are loaded with 550kg the CMC hit the bump stops often, the Eibach on the other hand is brilliant. No hitting the bump stops and roundabouts I get so much less of a lean!

Now I'll make you make the decisions what you would buy.............

(all figures were written down when I had the CMC springs and I have written letters between myself and the owner of CMC a couple months ago to back up what I have written. Maybe I'm being a bit fussy about what weights I carry and even CMC made a comment about my measurements when I said they dropped 70mm with 550kg ~
'Please try not to look into it too much after all a difference in overall drop of 10mm is hardly a massive amount in the grand scheme of things.'
Perhaps, but people want to know what their springs can handle don't they...........?)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. I'm about get some eibachs and this has been really useful.

Have you got any pics of the van from the side with the 2 springs?

Cheers,

S

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
loaded or unloaded?!

I imagine you want unloaded?

Well I have one of the CMC -60 HD springs but forgot to take one of the Eibachs unloaded.
If you want one of the Eibachs unloaded you'll have to wait until SundayT:

I only have pictures of the wheel, not the whole van like this~
CMC Unloaded

·
Registered
138 Posts
loaded or unloaded?!

Well I have one of the CMC -60 HD springs but forgot to take one of the Eibachs unloaded.
I was thinking unloaded. I just wondered what the difference looked like. Don't go to any extra effort, it was only if you had the pics T:

Cheers

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Will have to catch up with you sometime buddy as I'm running a pair of springs that begin with "J" I: on a 2.6T Velle and regularly frequent the bumpstops :D

Eventually (funds dictating) will be looking into the eibachs on a 40mm drop to fit my 9J rears I:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
loaded or unloaded?!

I only have pictures of the wheel, not the whole van like this~
CMC Unloaded
Have you got a pic like this of the van loaded bud?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will have to catch up with you sometime buddy as I'm running a pair of springs that begin with "J" I: on a 2.6T Velle and regularly frequent the bumpstops :D

Eventually (funds dictating) will be looking into the eibachs on a 40mm drop to fit my 9J rears I:
Poop! It was tonight I was going along to the meet up wasn't it?
Sorry if it was. Been a hell of a day driving to Bristol to get the 4 wheel alignment done etc. Completely slipped my mind.

Chippy if you fancy meeting up bring a trolley jack and we'll whip my springs off and load them onto yours! Just don't drive off with them lol!LOL:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I made the swop from original cmc springs, not HD, as one of the springs snapped in half!!!
It was lower on cmc but in my opinion that's not as valued as quality of ride, which you definately get with eibachs.
Worth every penny, no more banging and crashing on the bumpstops since changing :ILU:

·
Administrator
30,977 Posts
Poop! It was tonight I was going along to the meet up wasn't it?
Sorry if it was. Been a hell of a day driving to Bristol to get the 4 wheel alignment done etc. Completely slipped my mind.

Chippy if you fancy meeting up bring a trolley jack and we'll whip my springs off and load them onto yours! Just don't drive off with them lol!LOL:
I cancelled the meet bud and I realised (this morning) that it's my wedding anniversary today I:

Like the sound of swapping springs mate, that's a great idea T: I don't really feel it hitting the stops much, it's all the kids in the back I feel sorry for :(

Will catch up soon buddy T:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
That pic was of the CMC Springs, I'll go and edit my pic so I don't confuse people
Yeah, i realised that bud, that's the pic i asjed you too show...I:I::D

Thanks bud, just wanted to see the drop loaded, and the pic answered my query perfectly.T:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts

Iv got 9j rears running the eibachs and theyr fine bud.....iv had 3 bods bouncing on the back and went nowhere near the archesT:

·
Registered
647 Posts
iv got EX AA van and just measured mine from centre of wheel to the arch and its 435mm ,so if i put eibachs on will it lower it 25mm or will it take it down to 380mm witch that would be 55mm ,and iv just looked at the bumper stops and theres about 4 to 5 inch between from it bottoming out cheers karl

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
iv got EX AA van and just measured mine from centre of wheel to the arch and its 435mm ,so if i put eibachs on will it lower it 25mm or will it take it down to 380mm witch that would be 55mm ,and iv just looked at the bumper stops and theres about 4 to 5 inch between from it bottoming out cheers karl
the Eibachs are 45 mm drop if you install 5 mm lowering rubbers with them you'll get approx 50mm drop

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I believe my van used to have older versions of the CMC springs and it didn't take a whole lot of weight, but then without knowing the specifics of the springs I wouldn't say that was wrong - it is a full conversion anyway.

Anyway, as these were looking tired, and some people (More advanced in years than me) wanted to borrow my van for a trip to Europe, I took the opportunity to buy some T4sRUS HD -50s.

What a set of springs they are - they raised the van slightly to a bit higher than it used to be (Never had it as standard so no idea what drop is) and are nice and firm.

They also take weight extremely well. I put an estimated half tonne of stuff in the back for a tip run the other week and the ride was fine - no bottoming out at all!

Anyway, Whilst Eibach may have the edge over these, I'd be hard pushed to find a reason to part with the money especially as springs are only part of the equation on ride (Let's not forget torsion bars, shocks, wheels and tyres or even the state of the various bushes/other components)!

Dave

1 - 20 of 50 Posts