VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, having had enough of getting wet and being uncomfortable in tents I decided it was time for the Bike to go and my good mate Spike convinced me the best thing to replace it with was a VW Camper. Due to an awful experience as a (short term) Bay owner, (namely body giving way when trying to jack up with a wife and small baby in the middle of nowhere) in the early 80's I wasn't sure. However he persuaded me to attend the VW show at Harewood and we were hooked! Consequently I got myself a SWB Panel van and then started to look around at ideas and got an awful lot of info from this Forum. Although I wanted to do all the work myself I quickly realised I couldn't match my own expectations (so she who must be obeyed told me) and found out who could do the job I wanted within my area of West Yorkshire so I could have some sort of involvement. Happily I found the guys at T4 Campers based in Ossett (only minutes from where I live) who could put up with me and who produce some great looking vans.
so here are some pictures of how my van is progressing:-

First thing was to get a decent set of wheels. these are 18", not sure of make as they were a fleabay buy.

Really good condition inside due to easy life as a courier van.

next on agenda was to put in single seat and the usual swivel.

Following advice from this forum I opted for Saab seats. these are from a 9000 convertible and were inexpensive, although the new upholstery work might change all that.

I think they look great.

Coilover option taken.

now it was off to the Guys at T4 Campers for more serious work.

Firstly was colour coding

she who must be obeyed wanted a pop up roof so here we go

Ok, gotta say she was right. Now it's a panel van with a roof though.

Rear suspension shows a 60mm drop. Potentially 15mm still to go.

Can't believe how quickly the Guys at T4 Campers work, on with the interior now

Double insulation fitted

And of course it needs a floor
Don't think the hairdryer is for Russ's hairdo though.

really great work, now starting to look as good as i would like and the spots look great

even better from this angle

so, time for some glass. Don't think these are going to move

Making sure everything is as it should be

again, no chance of this moving

looks like a van from my previous proffession!

and so here we now stand. It is hard to believe that a number of weeks ago this was a courier van! Hopefully this will give me membership to Team White.
More to come..........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I hope the interior ends up looking as good as the outside does. looking forward to attending some more shows only this time as a participant. :mw

·
Registered
681 Posts
How weird this thread is , a neighbour of mine also a Harley owner was talking to me about my T5 and that he was looking to buy one and kit it out. Are all you Harley boys moving to the other side

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Looks nice that!

What's the plan for inside? Standard cupboards and rock and roll bed?

I must admit I'm not in love with your wheels :S

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Austin Man, yeah, Harley's are good for getting into the weekend away scene meeting up with other owner/enthusiasts, but don't provide any accommodation hence the move to T5, gives the same weekend meet up, same cruising speed and of course somewhere comfortable to sleep rather than a small (very) tent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nickhead, thanks for that. van will be fairly standard to begin with, other than upholstery colour scheme which has a purpose. will be revealed once completed (gotta see if it works). wheels are individual preference and they look better when seen, and of course they were a bargain so bound to look good.T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just a quick update on exterior of van now windows all fitted. first picture is not strange looking van but the bike after i had finished personalising it.

Still miss it....

amazing! sunshine in Yorkshire

As I said before the guys at T4 Campers do a great job. T:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the bike looked good but as the walrus said - "the time has come". I am really pleased with the way the van is looking and am looking forward to getting to some of the events. already booked for camperjam and considering going to Vdub Island as we used to live down there so it will be good to see how it's changed. Also looking at heading to germany to catch the MotoGP at Sachsenring.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Van looks sweeeet T: Done Valencia/Cheste for the past few years was lucky enough to blag a full pit pass a couple of years back, one of the best days of my life. Would love to do Mugello or Misano.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just a quick update on how van is moving on. Can't wait now to see it finished with it's new interior.
Won't go on about these, but got to comment on how neat and tidy the electrics look compared to some i have seen.
\and well done to T4 Campers on helping out on the van that came from elsewhere for help.

Won't be long now. All great things are worth waiting for, next update completion.A: H: LOL:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it's been a while in coming but I keep telling them I am in no hurry and it's good enough to wait for. As I say, it's not going to be used in the lousy weather anyway. Won't be long now. H:A::)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, I feel like I did at christmas when i was 10, -------the van is finished!
gotta say thanks to T4 Campers for putting up with me and especially regarding the upholstery which looks like this -

well, bare bones all eagerly waiting to be dressed.

here we go, the tartan in the picture is the Davidson (family tartan) clan tartan

better view of the colours and tartan

The Davidson clan badge has been embroidered into the leather inserts

well the wording is wrong as I am a Laird (Laird of Glencrannog) not a Lord

Final wash and brush up before homeward bound

So here we are, my current mode of transport which I hope will enable me membership of Team White.

Once again, many thanks to the guys at T4 Campers of Ossett Wakefield West Yorkshire.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts