VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post ever about my first ever T5 (first ever transporter) on my first ever conversion.....

I recently bought a low mileage 58 plate SWB T5 (T30) and I flew to Birmingham from Aberdeen to buy it a few weeks ago. It has twin sliding doors, all pretty standard.....but then there is the fact it has a electric wheelchair ramp and the full regalia of fittings and fixtures for securing two wheel chairs (all professionally done with high end kit, so if anyone wants to buy it from me or know someone who would be interested in this let me know!).

There is no passenger seat in the front and only 2 single seats in the rear.

So basically I am starting with a shell!

I have started this so I can record the progress I am making with my conversion and hopefully see where it started and how awesome it is at the end!

Here are the before photos! They are terrible quality (they were from the advert I saw when it was up for sale) I will get better photos up soon....when I get it back from the garage.......I forgot to mention the van refused to start on me a week after I bought it, so I am waiting to get it back hopefully in tip top condition. Apparently it is a sensor in the gearbox which is playing up and they are waiting to hear back from VW on a fix.

Please don't mention any horror stories of gearboxes needing changed out or various other issues which are going to cost me a fortune, I would rather be in blissful ignorance at the moment!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So one of the first decisions was do I do the inside or the outside first. I am going with the outside, but I want to get the front passenger seat sorted sooner rather than later! I have got my hands on a genuine seat base and 2 genuine VW swivel bases.

My brother who is a bit of a customiser has 2 Landcover Discovery seats with arm rests I think I am going to mod and fit.

It wasn't going to be the first thing I was going to do, but given it is in the garage anyway, I thought I should get the lowering springs fitted now. I have gone with Eibach Racline Pro Springs (lowering the van by 50mm), apart from the lime green colour they are going to be awesome on the van.

Next up is what to do with the body, I am currently debating about just putting a 03-09 caravelle bumper on the front and the sportline splitter or do I go the whole hog and do the 5.1 conversion? Any thoughts? There is a bit of difference in the cost, but when I total up what I am going to spend on the conversion I could live with the extra spend on the outside too.

I want to go with 20" wheels (Black or anthracite I think), probably Range Rover Sport or Discovery wheels.....but I am going to keep my eye out for a set in good condition with good tyres in any design I like at a reasonable price.

My bank account is already in free fall......ha ha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I have uploaded a pic of the van lowered now. I have got my back bumper, sidebars and rear splitter, awaiting arrival of the caravelle front bumper, sportily splitter and tailgate spoiler. I decided to stick with the standard 03-09 look, if it was meant to be a 5.1 it would have been born in 210! I:

So my next problem is wheels and tyres, so I have asked for some help from the friendly forum members with this! Fingers crossed I can get some help with it....it is a minefield!

http://www.trailerforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=439759

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, no more photos yet, but I now have the following ready to be painted and fitted, just need to get this booked in with the guy who is going to be doing the painting.

- Caravelle front bumper
- Caravelle rear bumper
- Sportline front splitter
- Sportline Tail gate spoiler

I also have:
- Black side tubes
- Black roof bars
- I am getting the new 20" Bola XTR's fitted on Tuesday or Wednesday next week

Need to get her booked in for tinting ASAP too, going for 20% on the sliding door windows and a limo (5%) tint on the rears and tailgate.

Fingers crossed I can get this all sorted out int he next couple of weeks.....I want to see it all together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheels are on! T:

Delighted!

Tinting happens next week. The painter has had a look at the work I need done, so waiting on a confirmed price and that probably won't start for another month or so.....but it is beginning to take shape. Just changing the wheels makes a massive difference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The deep pockets are now empty Luvie :-(

I have been a bit quiet, but have got a few things done with the van.

The tinting was done, looks really good, but kind of wish I had just gone for the 5% all round now.....

The sound proofing is under way, silent coat applied to most panels, the acoustic foam arrived today from Classic Acoustics (as good as their word with delivery times!) as did the 6mm ply lining.....

Door cards have been wrapped and pockets painted, bit of a ball ache, but I like the results! Now to start covering the ply! Have decided to try the 3M Dual Lock to attach the ply so I can access wires etc afterwards and not break clips etc.

Speakers, Sub, Amp and head unit ready to be fitted and wired too.

The rear bumper, skirt and spoiler are with the painter

I have had to put on hold the front bumper and splitter because I have the van heading down to Cornwall next week to get rails and seats fitted. (Seats from Richard @ Kernow Transporters, being fitted by Mirko @ Premium Camper).

So it is really all down to me now to get everything done...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the new seats are now in.....love it!

So I have a drivers captain seat (with arm rests for sale, inca fabric I think it is called), rear single quick release seat (same fabric) and a single fixed rear passenger seat.

Seat belts available too.

So if anyone is interested, please PM me!

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys....much appreciated.

I didn't really appreciate just how much work would go into the conversion to be honest, mine is nothing compared to some peoples....but it is really coming together now.

So the elecrtrics are now basically in. I have put in a few 240V sockets, 12v sockets, USB chargers etc. I have taken out the standard VW head unit and replaced it with a better single din unit. Put in Morel component speakers, in the midst of fitting a JL Audio Sub under the passenger seat (bit of a fiddle!) all into a JL Audio Amp.

I have sound proofed the front cab too with a bit of MLV topped with foam from Classic Accoustics.

It goes in to get carpeted on Wednesday, should get it back Friday. Then hopefully the only things left to do will be to make the electrics neat and put them into an arrangement in a box my old man has made. Then make my own version of the multiplex board using the legs I ordered from German ebay!

Should get my first weekend away in it this month or September (typical, I will finish just as the weather starts getting even worse! LOL: )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts