VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Any case why moan about the plod ?

Probably to save you getting 3 points and a fine for showing a red light at the front of your vehicleI:

It is an offence to show a red light to the front of a vehicle (including a reflector) and a white light to the rear unless reversing. Once again these offences are dealt with by means of a £30 Fixed Penalty Notice. It does not matter if the lights are mounted inside or outside the vehicle, just that the light can be seen from the outside. This would also include neon lights fitted under or on the side of a vehicle and red LED windscreen washer jets. Green lights can only be fitted on Medical Practitioners vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
5,213 Posts
Plod probably won't do anything about it!
Too many boy racers with the blue headlights about so what makes the red light any worse?

I think it looks great, well done mateT:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thanks Builder Jay, appreciated.

Spanners - lighten up a bit dude, we all know the law, and all changes to our vans should be notified and acknowledged by our insurance
companies. Other wise technicaly we are not insured..............................

I like messing around with my new love, and I will do exactly what I want to it. Any mods could be just for the purpose of showing them at a show,
could they not.........
Steve you should lighten up too bud! Why worry what others say etc ? , as long as your happy and enjoy your van and mods then carry on as is. Cheers

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Whieter than snow are you ?

I have looked at your pics. Have you writen all the modifications that you have (extremley nice) carried out to your T4 and posted them to your insurance company, requesting acknowledgement in writing ?
If not then technicaly "plod" can stop you for driving without insurance. How many points is that on your licence ?
They do stop 'boy racers' and carry out inspections of their car and then check with the insurance company
- on the spot - if they are not insured or notified of the modifications, the car is towed away. Not that has happened
to me but it has happened to people I know.

Lighten up Dude..

I didn't moan about your VW badge. I think it looks good, you asked someone else why they "moaned about the plod".

All I did was point out why, it is totally up to the you what he do, but I would hate to see someone post that they have just been stopped for showing a red light at the front of the vehicle, when I could have advised them of the risk.

The idea of a forum is to pass on ideas and advice, good or bad, and it is up to the reader how to take that advice.

As for insurance, I notify all modifications, including stickers, as I am well aware how insurance companies will try and get out of paying.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My 2p's worth.

Why not of done the backlight in white then the "plod" would have no reason to say anything, you could have it wired to your sidelights so its on when they on.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'll present some facts, I bought a T4 a few years back which had a white LED mod to the badge, I didn't even know. They came on with the headlights. Got pulled for it and had to remove it there and then to avoid a fine. Just so you're warned.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My 2p's worth.

Why not of done the backlight in white then the "plod" would have no reason to say anything, you could have it wired to your sidelights so its on when they on.
........because lights MUST be fitted in pairs (Lighting Regs)..... the old "cyclops" cars of years gone by forced the Regs updates and were no longer legal for production.......this applies to "auxiliary" lighting too (but not rear fogs which can be singular but must be fitted to the offside)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
This is an interesting thread and it does make you wonder why are Boys In Blue don't appear to be doing anything about the large number of HGV's that ply our roads who have every colour under of the Sun either on the front of the tractor units grill or on the dash board or on the rear wall of the cab, but all can be seen clear from the front of the vehicle.I:

Always mystified me why HGV drivers get away with it but lesser mortals seem to get pulled if you so much as put a slightly bluey white bulb side light bulb in :*

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
wow this thread turn quickly! LOL:

Anyway if the light was gonna be wired up to a swich all's good, then its turned on and offf to your hearts content? T:

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is an interesting thread and it does make you wonder why are Boys In Blue don't appear to be doing anything about the large number of HGV's that ply our roads who have every colour under of the Sun either on the front of the tractor units grill or on the dash board or on the rear wall of the cab, but all can be seen clear from the front of the vehicle.I:

Always mystified me why HGV drivers get away with it but lesser mortals seem to get pulled if you so much as put a slightly bluey white bulb side light bulb in :*
There is no offence of showing other colours to the front (other than red)..........or in having additional lighting fitted that is supernumery to the requirements stipulated within the Lghting Regs......so as annoying as it is, "most" of the Coca Cola style fairy lit truckers are committing no offences.

The replacement of obligatory bulbs as prescribed by the Lighting Regs (position lights, headlights etc) with non compliant bulbs means that in effect, the bulb (as prescribed) isn't there (even though one that doesn't comply is), therefore completing the offence.

This answer is posted solely to enable understanding of the Regs.......nothing else!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts