VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys....

Has anyone stuck some of the £40 ebay fog lamps in to their front bumper without wiring up?

I know it sounds crazy but the front bumper just looks daft with those blanking plates in and I would like to replace them with the fog lights but I can't imagine I would use them enough to go to the hassle of wiring them up and adding the new switch etc.

Looking at these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOG-LIGHTS-LAMP-SET-FOR-VW-TRANSPORTER-T5-T28-T30-2003-2009-NEW-/161094348242?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item2581f8add2

I would be interested the hear of anyone's experience of these cheap fog lights :)

Cheers T:

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Yeah, mine aren't wired up, the wires are just tied up behind the dash. The wiring kit was pretty silly because it only had a power wire off the back of the switch which would melt the switch. I really dont know why they didn't provide a little fused relay to clip beside the battery?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of having functional front fog lights but £54 for the lights without the trims and then extra for the new dash switch and the wire looms etc not to mention getting it all wired up seems like too much expense and hassle. Cheers for the link tho robj57.

What do the ones you have fit like bobley? Where they off eBay? are they good quality?

Cheers for the replies! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine are not wired up either i didnt realize this untill after i bought my van and was playing about with it as you do .On closer inspection realized they aint wired up to anything, sorry to jump the thread but does anybody know how much a garage would charge to get them wired up and working even if its just a flick switch on the dash instead of the proper one as would like to have the option of using them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I like the idea of having functional front fog lights but £54 for the lights without the trims and then extra for the new dash switch and the wire looms etc not to mention getting it all wired up seems like too much expense and hassle. Cheers for the link tho robj57.

What do the ones you have fit like bobley? Where they off eBay? are they good quality?

Cheers for the replies! :D
The link I sent you was for DRLs rather than fog lights and they come with the wiring and brackets necessary. :)
I'm considering them because, like you, I don't really want to fork out nearly 150.00 notes for fully functioning fogs... :eek:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi, I seem to remember reading about additional fitted lights in a post about the new MOT regulations. If lights are fitted, do they not now have to be wired up and working properly?

I may be totally wrong but this topic rings a bell with me.

Cheers,

JW

·
Registered
68 Posts
hi just had mine motd two weeks before stone hit one and smashed it all I did was to place two round discs over the lights to cover them passed no problem

·
Registered
159 Posts
I seem to remember reading about additional fitted lights in a post about the new MOT regulations. If lights are fitted, do they not now have to be wired up and working properly?
My old Mini has the customary row of 4 big spotlights on the front - currently disconnected and all the wiring taped up under the bonnet. I asked MOT man if this was a problem and he said not - front fogs and spotlights are not essential so they don't have to work. Rules might be different for newer vehicles though I s'pose.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine are not wired up either i didnt realize this untill after i bought my van and was playing about with it as you do .On closer inspection realized they aint wired up to anything, sorry to jump the thread but does anybody know how much a garage would charge to get them wired up and working even if its just a flick switch on the dash instead of the proper one as would like to have the option of using them.

Hi jacko I'm pretty close to you and would give you a hand wiring them up it's quite simple aparantly. Pm me if interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts