VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2004 T28 1.9 T5. I recently realised my front driver side calliper was seizing on, I got the pads done on the front as they needed doing but just two weeks later the front calliper is seized on again. Anyone have a simple remedy for sorting this out? If not has anyone had a similar problem that can roughly estimate how much this will cost to get sorted at a garage (to avoid getting ripped off).

Any info appreciated

Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Although a T5 owner we had this problem with the wife's Auidi A4. The inner pad on one of the front callipers was rubbing on the disc & had almost worn down to the metal. I put new pads in on the front & cleaned up the sliding pins to ensure ease of movement. Unfortunately only a few months later when new tyres were being fitted they spotted that the inner pad had worn down again - so my repair was ineffective. New pads (again), discs & a replacement calliper were fitted by them that solved the problem - permanently.

I'm not sure if you can get a seal re-build kit for the calliper - but this might have saved ££s if I had done this initially - along with the pads & clean-up. I think the work on the wife's car was about £350ish.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice. Sounds pretty similar except given time my calliper releases itself at the moment.

·
Registered
523 Posts
First thing to check is that the pads slide freely, no corrosion on the carrier etc making them stick - presumably they cleaned and lubricated when changing the pads but you never know..

If that's all OK then next step is an exchange caliper - IMHO DIY rebuild of such a saftey critical part isn't worth it, when you can get e.g a Pagid caliper exchange from euro car parts for ~£80.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
First you need to sus out if it is the actual calliper sticking, (or the one piston in the calliper sticking in the bore to be exact) or the calliper sticking on the carrier, (or to be exact the carrier is not sliding on the two shafts). The carrier would be my guess as more likely to be at fault. Changing the carrier also doesn't involve bleeding the brakes either, it's just a part swop.
Once you know which item is at fault change that part only, or get someone to change it for you if it's not really your thing. From experience you can mess about cleaning/freeing the offending part, but it more often than not starts playing up again not long after. So you end up paying for the same job two or three times.
Use OEM parts too, I know they or more often than not more expensive, but once changed you should have any more trouble with it for a good few years !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts