VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help us? My hubby wants us to fit a top loading fridge into our new conversion but I am not convinced! I have read mixed reviews on various sites and still no wiser. I think it would really irritate me to use a top loading fridge, never finding what I need and things getting squashed! We have two kids so need all the space we can get. Has anyone fitted one into their van?

Appreciate any views.T:

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
Yep.

Pro's and cons for both. Personally the fact I don't have to grovel around on the floor to see in to it and the fact they are more efficient as the cold air stay in when you open it outweighs having to rummage around for me.

If you have swb it's unlikely you will be able to get in a front opener with the bed down.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I've got a front loader, Waeco CR50 in my SWB t4 and there is room with the bed down. We also use a 12v coolbox in the awning, so we've got the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm going with a toploader Vitfrigo when funds allow. But as you say, rummaging round for stuff may be a problem. I'm without kids and baggage so mine will be full of bacon and beer so no problems. :D :D

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
We use a Waco cool freeze top opening freezer box.
Does everything we need and can be moved around the van to suite our needs or even move from vehicle to vehicle T:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies - just found the VW California layout with top loading fridge - love it!!! Tried to source these units but no joy - this is what we want in our van!!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I wanted a top loader as you don't loose half the energy every time you open the door but my wife preferred a front opener. We got a CR 50 and love it. It is amazing how much will go in and the door racks are so useful.

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
I'm going with a toploader Vitfrigo when funds allow. But as you say, rummaging round for stuff may be a problem. I'm without kids and baggage so mine will be full of bacon and beer so no problems. :D :D
This is the one I have - C40L - I got 20% off for asking if they ever have 'sales'.

Got a lecture about how expensive 12v compressor fridges are to make then gave me a discount code that was valid while some caravan and motor show was on, think it was about Feb last year, so could be worth a try! T:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Definitely a front loader.
If you have a top loader built in, you are bound to put stuff on top when camping, which means you are constantly moving stuff to get into the fridge.
I have a top loading storage area in my worktop & that's exactly what happens. Believe me it's a pain.

CR50 is a great fridge, lots of shelves etc. So you haven't got everything piled on top of each other.T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts