VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning T4 peeps,

I need some new bushes for my Bluebird Customs uprated shocks. I loathe to replace the shocks as this will be the third set in 6.5 years!!. The Bluebird shocks are great, just the bushes worn out.

help?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve,

No good, I need bottoms ones.

43 views, one reply. Has any one sorted this?

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) If they are trollied, take them off, cut the rubber and measure, you can get universal 'Poly' bushes to fit, they might have to be two 'top hats' as opposed to a cotton reel though.

I did it for my rear shock, it worked well until a pot hole snapped the eye end right off :(

Chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two emails yo Bluebird Customs, not even the decency of a reply. Shame.

I like the poly bush idea, it just means taking it off the road whilst I measure and await delivery. Daily runner. It would be good though, thanks old bean

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris,

This is the sort of Form reply I was waiting for. Thanks old bean. Let me know

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
OK, having just been out and fought bears, some lost pygmie tribe and the glorious somerset evening, I have found the old shocks, they are the rear ones however the width and diameter of the eye end looks similar to my old front ones (by eye, the vernier is in a diferent continent), the centre bush is a different size and the shoulders are larger, however if you measure the eye internal diameter and the the width of the eye 'tube' also the external diameter of the bush and its close I'm sure you could make these fit.
Let me know your sizes and I'll measure up, assuming the garage dosn't float/get blown away.

an old picture from when they broke, but you get the idea

Chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whilst you managed to get to your garage and provide pictures of the old rear shocks I have not been able to measure mine.

Sorry dude.

For the record: two emails sent to Bluebird Customs I have not received a reply, obviously I am too smaller fish. In tears tingly I met one of their chaps at Vanfest asking a question about front end bounce, the chap was RUDE to me but I listened.
I did what he said, however was very disappointed to see no difference at all. Not such experts.!!!!!!
All they had to say was " sorry old bean, we do not supply these bushes"

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:) If I get the chance over the weekend I'll look at my old front shocks, I will measure the bush and the eye end, if they are close I'll PM you for your address and send them on, if they are no good post them back.

Chris

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I posted a thread on this a very short while ago. They are not replacable. Polybushes may work if you can find bushes that fit.

My idea for extending the life of the shock, mine work very well and do not leak it is just the rubbers that have worn, is to fit a large stainless steel washer either side of the bottom bush. Needless to say the washers have to be bigger than the bottom eye and very strong hence my stainless steel preference. This should stop the bush expanding outwards and increase the resistance to compression as a result.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) If I get the chance over the weekend I'll look at my old front shocks, I will measure the bush and the eye end, if they are close I'll PM you for your address and send them on, if they are no good post them back.

Chris
Thanks old chap. Still ing down here !!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Chris
Still raining, have not had a chance to measure. Thanks for your offer which I accept gratefully.

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
:)Ok got them out of the rear shocks and offered them up to my old front ones, the internal diameter of the bush is very close to the external diameter of the metal bush through my old front shock (you will have to re use the metal bushes through your shock) and the eye end on my old front shocks looks like the external diameter on the bush.
The depth of the top hat may need to be trimmed so as to get the shoulder against the edge of the eye end, and the square edge of the bush may need trimming back to a chamfer to get them to work properly.
If you offer them up and they are no good send them back to me, I'll use them as spares for my rear shocks.

PM me your address and Ill get them in the post (might not be til the weekend though)

Chris

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Looking at those bushes two things come to mind: You may need longer bolts as the width of the bushes will be wider owing to the 'rims' and the bolt may no longer be long enough. Secondly, are those rims strong enough to stop the shock breaking them off under stress? I have a sneaky suspicion that the rear top bushes take a lot less stress than the front bottom bushes hence they are always bonded in.

·
Literally, white van man
4,068 Posts
Looking at those bushes two things come to mind: You may need longer bolts as the width of the bushes will be wider owing to the 'rims' and the bolt may no longer be long enough. Secondly, are those rims strong enough to stop the shock breaking them off under stress? I have a sneaky suspicion that the rear top bushes take a lot less stress than the front bottom bushes hence they are always bonded in.

I think I understand what you are saying, However the length of the metal bush insert (from my front shock) is the same length as the rear I removed, allbeit it sits flush with the poly bush, as is the external diameter, the bolt hole (and the bolt) is a smaller diameter, hence the need to use the existing bushes from his original shocks.
The shoulders on the red bushes may need trimming to a chamfer as the original front metal bush sits proud of the original rubber bushes, this may be to allow slight movement from perpendicular to the bolt axis.
And these bushes are from the top, but the shoulders are not required for the front lower, hence the comment about trimming to a chamfer.
They got me out of a hole when I tried to extend the life of my Weitec shocks (the rubber was shot, the shock action was still good) and for £40 were good enough to get me an extra 6 months before the eye end sheared off (monster pot hole, but possibly helped by the stiffer poly bushes?)
If they are any good then the OP is welcome to try them, if not I'll keep them as spares T:

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts