VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was asked if I would document the front speaker replacement as a guide for another forum member...so here it is.

I chose the highly recommended Pioneer TS-H1703 Components.

First off was the obvious removal of the door card - two philips/x-head screws behind the handle used to close the door. Pop the handle cover off to reveal the screws.

Then remove the four torx (TX20) one in the middle of the door, three under the bottom pocket.

Carefully pull the card outwards from the bottom to un-clip the, er, clips which are around the outside edges of the card, then lift upwards and away from the door.

Disconnect the internal handle cable and the electric window switch if fitted.

Next, remove the old speaker from its mount held in by four torx.

Disconnect the speaker cable connecting block and remove the speaker.

At this point the old speaker spacer/mount needs removing. It is rivetted onto the door, so I initially tried drilling the rivets out without a great deal of success. I wanted to keep the mounting holes intact (for the new mount) so I cut the rivet heads off with the Dremel and discarded the old spacer.
I then found a little helper to retrieve all the rivets from inside the door....

I chose the pre-fabricated speaker mount that is quite widely used - the MK5 golf ones fit straight in. A lot of people recommend fabricating wooden or MDF spacers, I actually ordered some but they were too thin, so I decided on the plastic ones.

They riveted straight on using the existing holes. I did use sicaflex too though to ensure a good bond and seal .

I then cut the old speaker plug off and crimped two spade connectors on in its place. Then drilled a hole in the spacer to feed the cable through.

The speakers came with various self adhesive rubber mounts etc, I chose suitable ones and stuck them to the adaptor, ready to take the speaker.
Then connected the new replacement speaker to the cable and screwed the speaker to the door mount.

Then applied self adhesive soundproof sheets to various parts of the door. I was quite sceptical of this part, but they really have made a significant difference - it's now got that 'sounds like a golf' feel when you close the door. I'm going to order some more so that I can cover the complete door panel properly, it has also inspired me to soundproof a lot more of the van.

I then fitted a complete new set of door-card clips (pennies off eBay) and refitted the door-card.

Tomorrow I will be the fitting the dash mounted tweeters, I've already had a peak in there and removed (and refitted) the original tweeter, so i don't anticipate it will take long at all. I've also got the drivers door speaker to tackle.

I'll update with more photos once done and let you know what I think to the sound quality/improvement. T:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Which soundproof sheets did you get / how much we're they

Am going to have a fouter with something similar soonish.......
I used this....

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RATTLEMATT-x-8-SHEETS-Car-Audio-Sound-Deadening-Proofing-Sheets-Pads-Panels-/290790146520?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item43b47181d8

It's really good quality and hell of a lot cheaper than Dynamat etc. I bought 8 sheets to see how i got on - that's four sheets in the photos of the door. Five sheets per door would be better.

I used a hairdryer to heat it up and it went on very easily and is incredibly sticky. Good stuff!!

I'm definitely ordering more.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Don't want to pick hairs but the screws are t25 in the door cards T:

Good work there, you'll notice a massive improvement when you sound deaden the outer skin

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Don't want to pick hairs but the screws are t25 in the door cards T:

Good work there, you'll notice a massive improvement when you sound deaden the outer skin
Dammit you're only right, cheers buddy I'll amend the post to avoid confusion.
Many thanks T:

Edit....

Mine are TX20

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Successful day, both tweeters and drivers door speaker fitted.

First, remove the tweeter cover. It just pops off.

Then remove the two torx screws which secure the original tweeter housing.

Unplug the connector and remove.

I then faffed to decide on best tweeter placement.

Decided to fit the new tweeters into the original housing, so cut a groove for the new cable.

And Silcaflex'd the new tweeters into their housing.

The tweeters come with a filter which needs to be included in-line with the speaker cable. It's very long for various fitments so i trimmed the size and fitted bullet connectors.

Then, cut the old plug from the dash cables and fit bullet connectors. Keep an eye on polarity as you go.

Connect the filters

Refit the original tweeter housing with the new Gucci tweeters in place.

Refit cover and no one will ever know...until they hear the difference. A:

I also fitted the drivers door speaker, exactly as NS door.

Using a hairdryer to fit the sound deadening sheet.

Door 2 finished

Once again, a full set of new clips and reattached the door card.

Time to have a listen...and the verdict? Vast improvement in sound quality, so much more clarity - really crisp and clear, with a much greater frequency range. I've got an amp and sub in the back and I've recently added a pair of 6x9s to the rear.
The set up sounds really good now, very happy with it.
T:T:T:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great post, this is going to save loads of time! One question, where did you get the speaker mounts from? I have had a look around but can't seem to find any!

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great post, this is going to save loads of time! One question, where did you get the speaker mounts from? I have had a look around but can't seem to find any!

Thanks

Will
Thanks for the compliment, I bought my spacers off eBay - I've just had a look in 'my eBay' but it won't let me go back far enough to find the actual ones I bought. I can't find any for sale on eBay using the normal search for some reason??? :*

However, I've googled and found these http://www.autotronics.co.uk/cscart/volkswagen-golf-mk5-car-speaker-adaptors-front-sak-3108-car-speaker-adaptors.html :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I found your post after searching for door card insulation, and now I'm tempted to upgrade my speakers.
A few questions if I may;
Where did you source speakers from, and were they about £80?
Did the tweeters come in the pack?
Did you insulate behind the door, in the cavity (inside door skin), if so was it difficult to get access?
Have you a link for the door card clips?
Ta

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's a top job.

Having soundproofed my van, I would just add that while you have the speakers out you can access a fair portion of the outer door skin for applying dynamat etc.
Saves the nasty job of removing the inner panel and window runners.

Upgrading my speakers is defiantly on my (long) list now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found your post after searching for door card insulation, and now I'm tempted to upgrade my speakers.
A few questions if I may;
Where did you source speakers from, and were they about £80?
Did the tweeters come in the pack?
Did you insulate behind the door, in the cavity (inside door skin), if so was it difficult to get access?
Have you a link for the door card clips?
Ta
Definitely go for it, in my humble opinion.

I got the speakers from Amazon and yes they came with the tweeters and all the cable required, HP filters etc. I think they were closer to £90 delivered?

For door card clips just chuck it in the ebay search there are loads for sale on there (I can't paste a link at the mo as can't get on eBay on this computer).

No I didn't do inside the door skin as I didn't have enough soundproofing at the time, but I've since ordered loads more so will get on it T:

1 - 20 of 556 Posts