VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All,

I have been working hard on my van conversion over the weekend fitting the split charge cable under the van.

While there I had a good look at the front suspension torsion bars and the treaded bolts where the adjustment needs to be made. On inspecting them I have notice that the tread on the nearside one has rusted about 15mm down from the current bolt location for about 15mm, the other bolt is fine.

As I have a kit that will drop the van by about 50mm and by reading here and other sources I will need to wind the nuts down by 20mm to get that level of drop at the front which will put the nut on the rusting thread which I think will not hold by the looks of it.

Has anyone ever changed one of these blots, with the van on axia stands or would it be best for a garage to do the job and lower the van at the same time.

Also anyone got an idea of the cost of these parts.

Thanks

Robin

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was going to do it myself, using axle stands, it can be done but would take all day and you probably need to leave the torsion nuts soaking overnight in plus gas or equivalent.
Then I got a quote from the local protyre place, 2 hours!!! :eek: Comes out at like £85 I'm very temped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which way do you wind the nuts to lift or lower the front end?

Mine are fooking tight so when I eventually move them I want to be assured I'm heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
639 Posts
There is a spray called "Rust off" its made by Worth.

I use this during the day at work and i would recomended it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts