VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a lessons learnt really, bought puller kit from ebay, now it pressed the old joint out but has effed the new joint right up trying to refit it, the gold adaptor rode up above the joint and has mashed the edge of the joint up :(

Now im left with a tool no use to anyone (awaiting response from seller) and also a brand new knackered joint grrrrr.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
might not be the tool you used, I've seen badly cast top arms on t4's (yup, vw made fuckups then as well!I: ) with the baljoint's 'bore' not being central in the casting - this made the tool sit to one side & had issues pressing a new joint in squarely:*

basicly, you need to look at the arm / joint & tool & make sure theres no chance of them colliding, if so either grind clearance OR move / turn the tool to suit?

OR (as I did) machine a stepped locating 'ring' to space the tool from the balljoint, this also centralises the assembly so less chance of problemsT:

Rich.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A shame above and you need to clean the splines and smear some grease on them too,if the joint is anything but square it won't go in

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I have fitted about 800 of these to date and never had a problem with the sealey tool,still going strong..

have found that the problem above only happens from other posts with the cheaper joint presses or in lots of cases cheaper ball joints.

never had this happen with the sealey tool as said or with meyle,lemforder or TRW genuine joints

1 - 5 of 5 Posts