VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to the nw meet at the weekend I noticed a really harsh vibration when braking. The whole van was really shaking.
Now, I've had wheels on and off a few times thanks to the calamity of my spacer fitting but that's it. It's don't warped discs as they were fine before I started changing the wheels over and they don't warp through lack of use! Please discard warped discs from you thoughts....

When I last put the wheels on and applied full lock to the left, I noticed a clunk from low down but thought nothing of it at the time.

Whilst at the meet, some of the more technically minded observed that when I brake even at low speeds, the was considerable movement of the front offside wheel in a forwards and backs movement ( see silly pic below)

It was literally shaking in the arch at walking pace. It was also pointed out that there was considerable movement of the engine when I applied the hand brake and lifted the clutch to biting point.

Thoughts are engine mount or some structure like subframe, something that is allowing the fore-aft movement of the wheel. The top mounts are 1k miles old and tight.

Has anyone else had the issue and if so how was it resolved? Really need to sort it this week ahead of the weekends trip to Whitby! T:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh that's warped discs....

Any vibration when not breaking?
Nope, smooth when pulling away and cornering , no knocks, clunks, slight squeak when braking but it's non metallic.

Anti lock brakes? :*
It happens at walking pace with hardly any pressure on the brake pedal or measurable steering input, certainly not enough for abs to come into play.
What ideally I would like is one of those technical parts pictures of the brakes/suspension/subframe/engine mounts to try and understand where the wheel movement comes from.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I'm guessing from your CAD drawing it's just the Right hand side? Lol

You can't rule out the driveshaft, I don't know why but when mine fell out the other week it caused all sorts if odd vibrations and even when sat in neutral the whole van was shaking at idle..

I thought of ABS but you'd get a light on if there was a problem, but ABS will still work at 5mph

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing from your CAD drawing it's just the Right hand side? Lol

You can't rule out the driveshaft, I don't know why but when mine fell out the other week it caused all sorts if odd vibrations and even when sat in neutral the whole van was shaking at idle..

I thought of ABS but you'd get a light on if there was a problem, but ABS will still work at 5mph
It was CAD, used the ipad to draw it! Yep, noticeable more on the drives side but Rod thought there was minor movement in the passenger side.
Hmmm, driveshaft eh, the would explain the clunk on full lock and and the loss of rigidity. Isn't driveshaft failure usually accompanied with lots of noise etc?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not necessarily, my T5 was fine except for when accelerating through about 55ish. then whole van was shaking, found that nearside driveshaft was shot. Jack up front of van and try to manually rotate the wheel whilst watching the driveshaft. Wil normally visibly "lift" if its this :*

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diagnosed today as cracked disc where it mounts onto the hub!!!:eek: sorted now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2007 T5 1.9 has developed exactly the same fault. It's done only 82000 miles and after replacing front discs and pads, drivers side front wheel bearing and fitting a new driveshaft it still has a vibration through the hub. It is more obvious braking from low speed say 20 mph and can be felt as a pulsing through the brake pedal, it has a violent vibration at higher speeds and shakes the whole van.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2007 T5 1.9 has developed exactly the same fault. It's done only 82000 miles and after replacing front discs and pads, drivers side front wheel bearing and fitting a new driveshaft it still has a vibration through the hub. It is more obvious braking from low speed say 20 mph and can be felt as a pulsing through the brake pedal, it has a violent vibration at higher speeds and shakes the whole van.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
If you've changed the discs (this is what caused my vibration) then I'd guess its suspension. Start with the cheap bits first - drop links, and get oem ones (just kampers do good uns for £20) then look at top mounts and bearings. Of course it could be wishbone bushes.
Best get it checked out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Found the fault today, 15 thou runout on one of the new discs!! It's been an expensive process to get it fixed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts