VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently in Holland with my UK (RHD) T4 and the windscreen wiper stopped working. I bought a replacement motor here from a broker and installed it myself and it works fine. BUT...obviously what i did not realise at the time is that the motor works the other way, therefore when in stationary mode they stop vertically up the screen! the motor work anti-clockwise i guess! Can this be a simple crossing over of the wires to resolve it, or will i have to wait until i get back to the UK and replace the motor again? Many thanks. James

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
NOT 100% sure, but I think you can rotate the gearbox section on the motor.
That is how the "boy racers" get the wipers to park vertically.
You need to rotate it 90 one way, or 270 the other.

Inside the gearbox is the parking switch...that is what determines where it stops.
The motors all rotate the same way, it's just a contact that tells it where to stop.

Anyway, it's a "legal" mod, and would make your van one of only a few :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that! Is that as easy as it sounds, being a complete novice to all this! Haha what a great modification, I am sure it will add hundred's to its value! :)

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,877 Posts
Not having had to remove the wiper motor on a T4, I don't know how difficult.....hence my "Not 100% sure", BUT....yeah, a lot of people have done this.
You can even get the rear wiper on a tailgate van to park vertically (I did by mistake...but now I've removed it altogether as I never used the interior mirror anyway and stuck some film on my back window.)

I "think" the gearbox cover is held on with screws.
Remove it, and you will see some tracks of copper and some contacts.
It's "just a matter" of setting it so that the contacts drop off the tracks at the angle you want the wipers to park.

Be careful.....I do know someone who got theirs 180 wrong....and tried to wipe his bonnet! (NOT on a T4....)

Trial and error, but keep the wiper blades OFF the screen!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts