VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Hand brake on over night in freezing conditions and then I cant drive off cos my rears are solid!!

Is any one else suffering from frozen rear brakes? not sure if its the calipers but could do with some help as loosing money waiting for the brake s to thaw before Im able to drive off.

Any quick fix ideas?? Is it a caliper prob/service /sticking point perhaps? I had new hand brake cable last month? Brakes work fine with no issue other than when its freezing and I leave the handbrake on.

Remembering to leave the handbrake off is a real pain!!

T4 96 1.9td none abs.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Common problem on the T4, hand brake cables freeze. You said you had new cables though, worth checking i guess that everything is properly fitted.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is it water in the cable then?

Be best to put a couple of large blobs of grease round the openings
Exactly that. Water runs down the cable and freezes. The grease won't help till the water in there has dried out. I'd get the other old cable replaced and check the new one to make sure water can't get in. It's a common problem on many cars not just VWs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi there ! very common problem ! as an ex AA patrolman i used to see this all the time in the cold . as already said its water in the cable and yes mine were frozen on too, so last night i left handbrake off and left in gear. now when the weather warms up a bit i will strip out the cables and if they are not rusty i will run lots of wd40 down the cables and grease the open ends. but best cure is to replace and in the autum do as stated above wd 40 and grease open ends . hope this helps ! T: T: :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
A quick fix - on a DOKA its easy enough to get at the rear calipers since there's a lot of space under the flatbed, but on a van you would need to jack the body up a bit. Put it in low gear or chock the wheels, then take a broad bladed screwdriver and lever the handbrake operating arm upwards to the off position, this usually breaks the ice and you're good to go.

BUT only a temp fix - the problem still needs to be seen to properly.

//NiSk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for all the advice I got under the van this morning and squirted some WD40 on the end hosess and mechanisum then rocked that van which seemed to free it up though it did feel as thought the brakes were binding a fraction.

Will take you advice and strip the hoses when warmer then grease them up ready for the next cold spell.. Cheers for all your help.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Me to. up the road!
Only got my van on thursday, gave it a wash on friday, went to put it on the drive today and the o/s rear break seemed to be binding when reversing.:(
Bonzey in Baldock.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had the same problem,I reversed out of my drive put it in first and then I felt the dragging then all of a sudden it freed itself and has been ok since, I will inspect the cable when it gets a little warmer and replace if needed,regards bighook.

·
Registered
286 Posts
glad im not the only not to make it to work on thusday morning, froze solid. wheels off, wd40 and grease out, good wire brush and clean up, wd40 everthing in sight, slap some grease on. wheels back on and off to work for 1pm. interesting that it could be the cables tho, never mind. next time i'll just go back to bed till it thaws a bit.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yep mine had frozen as well. If leave handbrake off would it not just freeze in the off position?
Yes, but you can exert considerably more force with the handbrake lever than the return spring on the brake caliper!

//NiSk

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I regularly use a garden pressure spray on all underbits , with diluted Waxoyl , or similar , on all cables , linkages , etc . and have never had this issue ... !! I have a 94 . 2.4 LWB and have owned it sice July , 94 . Even last year in -15 , no prob ... !!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I regularly use a garden pressure spray on all underbits , with diluted Waxoyl , or similar , on all cables , linkages , etc . and have never had this issue ... !! I have a 94 . 2.4 LWB and have owned it sice July , 94 . Even last year in -15 , no prob ... !!
The wife's '69 MGB GT has grease nipples on the handbrake cables - why don't they still fit these? Would solve a lot of problems (but maybe sell a lot less handbrake cables!http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif)

//NiSk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts