VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, what am I looking to get out of this van? I've just come from a Caddy (which was sooo cheap to run) and now I'm alarmed at the mental rate that the pin goes down on my new Transporter. Only Done 250-60 from the brim and now between 1/2 and 3 1/4's left. I know from experience the VW dubs have a quick drop gauge after half full so I'm wondering what I'm going to get.

What's the best amount of rev's to keep her at? thinking 2000-2200?

Also please don't direct to an old thread, I want your opinions!!! :grphg T: T:

Another thing, against the Caddy (which cost £80-90 to fill right up from empty) and the T5 (which just took 74.7 litres @ 138 P/L £103.76) it seems the T5 is doubly expensive!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Doing a controlled fuel run at the moment. Brimmed the tank and am driving like miss daisy until the light shows then brim the tank again from the same pump. Then I'll do the math I have just over 1/4 tank left and the mileage readout is at 492 however I'm running 275/40/20 tyres and will have to adjust for an increase rolling circumference (+ 10% ish) I'm hoping to get over 600miles from the tank. I'm expecting it to return around the 35mpg mark.

I'm in a 2.5tdi with a remap, dpf removed, Caravelle, approx 2300kgs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The caravelle weight comes into the equation.
My figs are Kombi based 16" rims 70 mph over 2000 miles on french motorways

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doing a controlled fuel run at the moment. Brimmed the tank and am driving like miss daisy until the light shows then brim the tank again from the same pump. Then I'll do the math I have just over 1/4 tank left and the mileage readout is at 492 however I'm running 275/40/20 tyres and will have to adjust for an increase rolling circumference (+ 10% ish) I'm hoping to get over 600miles from the tank. I'm expecting it to return around the 35mpg mark.

I'm in a 2.5tdi with a remap, dpf removed, Caravelle, approx 2300kgs.
Hmm, I've got 215 65 16 on mine. Whats the effective difference? Don't know what to expect from the beast. As a plumber it's got a reasonable amount of tools in it but not crazy. Also running it like a maiden.

After the light goes on, how many more miles on average do you have?

Cheers for the replys everyone! A:A:A:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi also plumber 07 2.5 130 lwb if I use it for work and don't hang about get tops 450 on holiday to south of France steady 65 to 70 nearer 600 if you drive is steady its good if you drive it like you stole it it drinks fuel I just drive it like I stole it:ILU: I use t4 for work better on fuel

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hmm, I've got 215 65 16 on mine. Whats the effective difference? Don't know what to expect from the beast. As a plumber it's got a reasonable amount of tools in it but not crazy. Also running it like a maiden.

After the light goes on, how many more miles on average do you have?

Cheers for the replys everyone! A:A:A:
I think on average, (but there are many variables) you should be looking at around 50 miles from light to empty.

My driving is in rural Devon and haven't seen sixth gear since I left the M5 when I bought her up here! So I think she's doing ok, I would expect (hope) to return closer to the high 30's on a long run on good roads.

The link below gives you a wheel/tyre conversion from standard (speedo calibrated) option to whatever size you are currently running.
Scroll down the page until you find the right conversion section.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_size_calculators.html

On a personal note: I don't like driving with one eye on the consumption and I really miss using the power, so it's just to satisfy my own curiosity and not how I'm intending to drive all the time form now on!I: not that I'm any kind of speed freak either........:cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dream of 35mpg :(

Did an mpg test a few months back on our 2.5 lwb shuttle and barely got 25mpg.

To be fair we do mostly town driving and it is a 162k ex-taxi with no mods so I wasn't expecting a great figure.

We have had the engine Terracleaned since then which should have improved the mileage but I do enjoy the new found poke so the figure is probably now even lower.. I:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the 2.5 and best eco is under 50 mph with no gear changes get up to 40 mpg

when on a long run sitting at 70 in sixth gear expect around 30-35 mpg,

I have a roof rack which when I have boards on the roof I think this makes a difference

keep the revs below 2k and above 1.3k seams to be the trick

its remapped which is faster and smoother but no differnt really on fuel, probably due to the odd boot full! :ILU:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, I too came from a 1.9 TDi 5sp LWB Caddy Life (ie. heavy), which only did an average of around 35MPG. I now run around in a 2.5 BNZ auto. Both vehicles are/were cabs (private hire) and I keep a brim to brim record on fuel consumption. I probably drive it in the most mixed of conditions (sit in quite a lot of urban traffic mixed with some blats up and down the motorway). In the T5 my running average is 26MPG. I've seen as low as 21.1 and as high s 30.9.

Bottom line is that, for fuel, it hits me in the pocket about 30% more than my Caddy. However, I get waaay more than 30% satisfaction!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I too came from a 1.9 TDi 5sp LWB Caddy Life (ie. heavy), which only did an average of around 35MPG. I now run around in a 2.5 BNZ auto. Both vehicles are/were cabs (private hire) and I keep a brim to brim record on fuel consumption. I probably drive it in the most mixed of conditions (sit in quite a lot of urban traffic mixed with some blats up and down the motorway). In the T5 my running average is 26MPG. I've seen as low as 21.1 and as high s 30.9.

Bottom line is that, for fuel, it hits me in the pocket about 30% more than my Caddy. However, I get waaay more than 30% satisfaction!
Thanks for all the replys peeps! I'll have to see how it does after a few tanks worth. If it's too thirsty for rural/town/motorway driving then it'll have to go with a change to the 1.9 110bhp BUT does anyone know of a 6 speed one???I:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll let you know how the consumption goes.

Also as a side, how can you set the forum to send you an email when you get a thread reply?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My old 1.9 104bhp did 38 on a run the 2.5 does 35 both manual. The key to me seems to be once you go over 70mph it really starts to batter it and I don't rev the pants off it just drive it on the turbo 2-3k. If my economy was in the low 20's I would be checking fuel filter, air filter and when it last had an oil change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Should have pointed out that my lwb shuttle getting 25mpg is also an auto.

For a 6-speed box they seem to have short ratios. There seems to be a very big gap in consumption between manuals and autos

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ok, just filled up, so here's my figures.

602 miles (inc correction for wheel/tyre size)
74 litres of fuel used

36.98 mpg !

Happy with that result. Must also note that I have been using Rhino Diesel additive for three tank fills now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have had T5 and T4 and now a GP5.1 CR LWB

Always around 30-35Mpg all of them over 500K miles.
My CR is 140 pendled to 180/400nm and still around 33 on 255/40/20 or 201 65/16 winters

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, just filled up, so here's my figures.

602 miles (inc correction for wheel/tyre size)
74 litres of fuel used

36.98 mpg !

Happy with that result. Must also note that I have been using Rhino Diesel additive for three tank fills now.
Hmmm, that Rhino stuff seem interesting. Hows it going?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hmmm, that Rhino stuff seem interesting. Hows it going?
Engine does seem to run smoother, quieter with good power. Didn't do an honest economy drive prior to adding it so nothing really to compare it to, but I'm sticking with it. On another note, put some in my wife's 1.6tdi Citroen and it has made a real difference there too! Much smoother and quieter engine, better throttle response and good power. Gets the thumbs up from meT:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts