VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Pretty new to vans and general mechanickery in general, so would appreciate some help!

The picture shows my fuel filter and the lines going to it. The van wont start without easy start, and I can sometimes see air bubbles in the clear (return?) line, so I'm assuming it's not getting the pressure it needs to get going.
(Glow plugs are another possibility, they take a gregorian calendar week to prime on ignition, but one thing at a time!)

Replacing the filter is simple enough, so no problem there!

I need to get some hose, can anyone help with what size?

Also, what is the connector that goes from the black hoses to the blue/clear hoses? Is the black hose easily replaceable?
Is there an easier way?

I'll take any advice anyone can give me, like I said I'm new to all this so I'll soak up any info anyone throws at me!

Thanks all!

VW T4 1996 2.4d AAB

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
When was that filter last changed, it's nearly fossilised...

All pipes & hoses are 8mm and there usually enough loose pipe to pull and shorten a bit, they aren't so easy to replace as the crimped fitting has to be cut off not easy down where they are although on your's theres no ECU or ABS unit in the way.

Seeing the odd bubble shouldn't stop it starting unless its running back to the tank, check the injector return rubber tubes a common problem and the end one which is a blank.

The small 3mm white pipe for a diesel heater, is that connected to the heater pump or correctly as that can also be a problem although it usually leaks fuel if a problem.

BUT the 2.4D will not start from cold without glow plugs!... and the cold start lever pulled, is it connected?

·
Valve Lifter
115 Posts
For the record I've never had to pull my cold start lever - it's always been a good easy starter.
I'd be interested to know whether this is common?

This might be irrelevant to this engine, but I could always tell when my old diesel Sierra leak-off pipes had perished as starting would deteriorate.

And don't buy the cheap rubbish leak-off pipes from eBay or your High Street Motor Factors - they are everywhere and are false economy - I do strongly recommend Brickwerks for proper quality long lasting pipe. Effectively fit and forget...........

Jim24
T4 1999 2.4D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have also had issues in the past with not-insiginificant amounts of bubbles appearing in the clear fuel feed line. You can use a vacuum pump on the return line to try and draw the air through and see if it holds. I have done this a few times...the bubbles in the clear line would always return until I reconnected all the fuel lines and bled the injectors during startup.

I wonder if your fuel system may have a small air leak or if it is somehow partially airlocked?

Also just a genuine question, isn't the white 3mm tubing attached to injector #5 and part of the fuel return?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Also just a genuine question, isn't the white 3mm tubing attached to injector #5 and part of the fuel return?

Yes it is I thought it was a the Eber DW3 engine heater, on late the Cali etc Tdi’s there’s that much stuff near the fuel filter it’s hard to see and even harder to change the filter.

I just permanently removed my DW3 and discovered the fuel supply is Tee’d in further to the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts