VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to this site and would like some help in finding a problem I have with my 1.9 tdi T5 on a 05 year. I was driving along and had to get some fuel, my guage waring light came on so I pulled over to the nearest fuel station and filled up, when I got into my T5 the fuel gauge remained on zilch and the annoying bleep with the fuel light on dash remains on. Has anyone had a simillar problem and where can I start to look?. I called my local VW dealer and they were very helpful in telling me there hourly rate of £80.00 per hour which i'm in the wrong job! Please can anyone help! many thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
I'm not sure about the specifics with the T5 but I believe that all "fuel system sending units" are the same, simply an arm with a floater on the end (so the arm moves up and down with the fluid level just like in a toilet). Where the arm would swivel/swing up and down should be a variable resister that sends a variable voltage to the gauge to indicate the approximate fuel level. Once the arm swings below a certain point (low fuel) the other channel comes on illuminating a light and possibly sounding a buzzer.

So, normally (since electronics are normally the weakest link in a manufactured chain), fuel tank manufacturers will simply drill a hole in the tank and screw-mount the sending unit to the tank....once again, I'm not familiar with working on a T5 yet but the unit could be mounted anywhere on the tank but should be removable....only problem being that you will have to drain the fuel, if it's mounted on the bottom (I would always drain the tank and disconnect the battery anyway when working on the tank).

When I replaced one on a 1976 Datsun 280z that I owned about 1,000 years ago, the sending unit cost about $10 (American) but the labor cost me about 2 hours.

Could be that this is not the problem but from your description, it sounds very likely.

Hope that helps
Keith

1 - 2 of 2 Posts