VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first posting - so hope it comes out okay

1997 1.9 TDI T4

When I turn ignition on (i.e. not turning key all the way ) there is a constant clicking sound from the fuse box, lights iluminate on the dashboard and the speedo goes up and down. When I turn the key all the way nothing happens (but clicking stops temporarily - sometimes there is a buzzing when key turned back)

I have traced the clicking to a relay marked 104 on the fuse panel - which I have discovered is the Fuel Pump relay
I can source a new relay but they cost £40. I've taken it out and and it looks okay.

The van was in the bodyshop for a respray and park sensors fitted last week. It worked for a couple of days after I picked it up. I was warned that the battery was low. Stupidly on Saturday I worked in the van for a couple of hours with the stereo on, but I don't think the problem is a flat battery.

I've tried using booster cables and a battery booster - didn't help
I've also disconnected the battery overnight but this didn't help.

I'm about to spend £40 on the new relay but wanted to check if anyone has had this problem/can think of anything else to try before I part with my hard-earned

Thanks in advance

P3rky

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
That is not a fuel pump relay, I think it is the second X contact relief relay. The symptoms you describe are very much flat battery or bad earth / battery connections.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there just found the same problem clicking relay 104 and doing 140 mph while stood still on my 1.9td and was wondering if the battery change worked as a solution as i have now changed the glow plugs and relay 104 as i noticed my old one had fused inside?

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is my first posting - so hope it comes out okay

1997 1.9 TDI T4

When I turn ignition on (i.e. not turning key all the way ) there is a constant clicking sound from the fuse box, lights iluminate on the dashboard and the speedo goes up and down. When I turn the key all the way nothing happens (but clicking stops temporarily - sometimes there is a buzzing when key turned back)

I have traced the clicking to a relay marked 104 on the fuse panel - which I have discovered is the Fuel Pump relay
I can source a new relay but they cost £40. I've taken it out and and it looks okay.

The van was in the bodyshop for a respray and park sensors fitted last week. It worked for a couple of days after I picked it up. I was warned that the battery was low. Stupidly on Saturday I worked in the van for a couple of hours with the stereo on, but I don't think the problem is a flat battery.

I've tried using booster cables and a battery booster - didn't help
I've also disconnected the battery overnight but this didn't help.

I'm about to spend £40 on the new relay but wanted to check if anyone has had this problem/can think of anything else to try before I part with my hard-earned

Thanks in advance

P3rky
Hi
Just wondering if you ever solved this issue? I'm suffering from exactly the same problem!
Fuse 104 is clicking frantically and causing the dash lights flicker, plus the engine won't turn over with the ignition at position 2.

Have already changed the battery.
Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
The short answer is no. However my abl engine blew its head shortly after this post so is just about to get a TDI conversion. When I was looking for a cure I found 2 wires going to the glow plug rail and there should have been 1. But I only did this while looking for what had caused my van to fail but I tested it and seemed to work. I would try a new relay as they are only around 15 pound from GSF car parts. Sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glow plug relay is a quick fix and worth a go as they can be an issue.

Mine started playing up the day after I had the Cam belt and service. I'm wondering if the Alternator wires are dodgy and re-tensioning the ancillary belts has disrupted them.

Would be keen to hear back from P3rky to see if he's fix the issue too.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Coincidentally mine started after I had the head done and found that if I remove the relay after it clicked for a couple of seconds the van would start and was fine until the cold weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The thing that's really confusing me is that the starter is completely dead when I turn the key! - if it were the relay I'd expect it to turn over and not fire, but I've got nothing at all!

I guessing this has something to do with the way VW have wired everything up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I forgot to add I've load-tested the battery (all ok) and also tried bypassing the electrics on the starter (spanner across the terminals) to see if it will just turn over ok (with no success) I'm suspicious of the starter motor, but again not sure how this simple wiring could cause the dashboard to play up.

I just know there's 1 simple thing which will fix everything - I just need to find it!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Main earth cable most likely. Trace it down from the battery negative terminal to where it bolts to the body and then on to the gearbox. Check to see clean and tight contacts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The main earth seems to run from the battery, directly to the gearbox/startmotor nut.

I can 'see' it looks pretty clean (no heavy rust or corrosion) but need to remove the belly pan to really get in there and check it out. Gonna give the starter a good test at the same time.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
That could be your problem then, there should be a body earth as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any ideas where I 'should' expect to see it attached to the body?
Or is it a bit random between vehicles?

I'll double check for it but probably fit a new one from the starter bolt back to the body rails.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
It is always down the side of and below the battery. Near the gearbox mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Found it! It was tucked under the battery housing so I missed it the first time.

So the good news is that I found the problem - loose earth on starter (must have worked loose) and a very badly corroded terminal between the starter and the solenoid (the stubby wire between the two). After a good clean and tighten it fired straight away.

Bad news is that today after driving to work, when I turned the key tonight, the constant live to the clock seems to be breaking every time I switch off. I've also lost dashboard illumination, the door buzzer (when leaving lights on) 'lights on' dash warning light and Radio (including the constant memory). All systems are functioning ok and the dash warning lights (except lights) are working fine. The guages are also a bit twitchy between ignition turns.
Fuse 13 was also blown.

Pretty sure this is Earth related but not 100% sure where to find any other Earth points or possible causes.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turns out it was just fuse after all - one of those in the secondary box under the main panel.
Must have shorted when I was mucking about with it earlier.

All fixed now :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts