VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I sent for a workshop manual from ebay but the 2 data discs are blank so what I need to know is the fuel pump timing settings for a 2.4 non turbo diesel 1996, I've done a search on this site and throughout the net and found lots of references but no actual pictures of the actual timing marks or which part of the pump I put the dial gauge, if someone could email me the relevant pages of the workshop manual or send me a link to a site with the relevant info I'd really appreciate it.
I have now sent for a paper version of the manual but I won't get that till the end of the week and I could do with getting this sorted asap.
Regards Chris

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The info is on here somewhere but basically there is a small 1mm wide groove on the flywheel that lines with a pointer on the gearbox under a plastic removable bung on top of the box. You will need a short length of 15mm bar/copper tube, approx. 100mm long (unless you have the correct timing pin) that will will fit through one of the two smaller holes in the pump pulley into a hole in the block. This is your timing datum position. The gauge screws into the pump on the left hand side of the pump as you are looking straight at the van where the fuel lines are. I can't remember what the setting is now but it probably won't matter anyway if your pump is worn as these engines are a [email protected] to time up anyway. It's best to do it by ear. Have a search.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Same as above . I set mine per spec in the manual and the timing is too advanced. Basically as the injectors wear they pop open earlier and advance the timing. By ear is one option, once the engine is warmed up can pull the cold start lever, this should make the engine sound tappety so you know you are in the ball park. Not tappety you are too far advanced, sounds better you are retarded. the best is to get a pulse timer and do it that way, these old engines are a little picky. BTW the best way to start is with a new T belt, always fit a new T belt....you do not want to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, can't find a notch on my flywheel but there is some tippex from previous owner

With the flywheel set there the pump pulley looks like this

And the cam shaft is here on no1 cylinder

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Hi, can't find a notch on my flywheel but there is some tippex from previous owner

Well i can comment about this picture re the flywheel markings, Just stand to the hole with the 2 holes face on, ie its a figure 8 on its side, in that case look to the left of the tip ex, its v.hard to see at the angle but there will be markings, use something to knock corrosion off to help and a bright light and a youngun with good eyes, do not trust the tip ex, i had the same on mine but they were way off the marks on the flywheel. It has a T 0 and 1 ...look at my hosted files for the autodata here...

Also I locked my cam from the fuel pump side (took pulley off -replace this stretch bolt few £ from vw) with the laser tools cost like £14 to lock the fuel pump and cam with the two tools..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Abyss but I have double double checked the flywheel and there are no signs of any markings, I turned the engine over with a wire brush through the hole to try and clean it a bit and even got someone else to check the crank as I turned the engine over and they could see nothing either

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It's there, it's probably just filled with rust. It's on the diameter of the flywheel that runs directly under the pointer. If you remove the camshaft pulley (cam to pump pulley) and set the camshaft exactly level with the head face (with the camcover removed) making sure the larger lobe on the end of the camshaft is at the bottom you won't be far off. You can then have a little scrape around with a flat ended screwdriver to find it. Once you find it mark both the tip of the pointer and the entire timing line on the flywheel with white paint for easier viewing.

I would try and find it by having someone slowly crank the flywheel round whilst you gently rub with the screwdriver first though to tryu and save you some extra work. Be patient.T:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
It's there, it's probably just filled with rust. It's on the diameter of the flywheel that runs directly under the pointer. If you remove the camshaft pulley (cam to pump pulley) and set the camshaft exactly level with the head face (with the camcover removed) making sure the larger lobe on the end of the camshaft is at the bottom you won't be far off. You can then have a little scrape around with a flat ended screwdriver to find it. Once you find it mark both the tip of the pointer and the entire timing line on the flywheel with white paint for easier viewing.

I would try and find it by having someone slowly crank the flywheel round whilst you gently rub with the screwdriver first though to tryu and save you some extra work. Be patient.T:
Ditto - esp re the someone else turning on the crank with a socket+wrench, but slowly...

It may not be near the tipex, mine wasnt! I know its there too, i had the benefit of an extra lump+flywheel with me so could clearly see it outside the gearbox housing on the floor! What threw me was someone hadalso chiselled another line in after the proper timing marks. it is tucked away,,really fooking stupid like,,,oh yeah dont loose the rubber plug too!

Good Luck :ILU:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help, van now runs, pump timing had slipped about 30 degrees or so
Finally found the timing mark by using a magnifying glass and very bright torch, why VW didn't just grind a notch in the flywheel?
Anyway the T4 lives and I'm now happy again, it's always a blow when you've only had a vehicle a few weeks and it all goes wrong.
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts