VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
My 1.9td T4 has been running rough for a while now so I decided to have the timing belt changed. All went well until the problem started coming back, So I removed the injectors and sent them away for testing and the guy at the testing place told me they were full of water and he hadnt seen them that bad for a long time, he also said he would be surprised if the fuel pump was ok. I had the injectors replaced and dropped the tank and cleaned all the fuel lines out and renewed filter but sure enough started the van again after refitting new injectors and still the same blooming problem. This tells me there is a problem with the pump. I rechecked the timing, crankshaft set at TDC on cylinder 1 and camshaft was able to be locked but the fuel pump itself could not be. I am gonna check the keyway on the crankshaft pulley as this could be the reason for the timing to slip out. I have ordered a dial gauge to set pump timing, I have removed cambelt ready for this procedure but my question is this, if I move the pump pulley so you are able to lock it out with the pin and make sure that the crank and cam are still at TDC does that mean the pump will more or less be in the precise place and also If I were to buy a new pump how would I know that the shaft was in the right position for the pump to give fuel to the correct injector at the correct time.

Thanks for taking time in reading this essay of a question, replies are greatly appreciated :clap

·
Registered
568 Posts
With all the timing locking tools in position the pump will be in the right area, the dial gauge will allow fine tuning of the pump after. I would imagine the pump wheel will only bolt on in one position so once its swapped onto the new pump you can lock it in position with the pin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was thinking as there must be a key way that slots into the boss and pulley so when pulley is locked the key way will put the shaft in the correct position

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the fuel pump timing gauge set today so I went to make a start on timing it to see if it would cure the poor running and smoke. Turns out I arent able to turn the actual pump as the holes for the pumps mounting bolts aren't elongated, I took some photos which I'll put below but I thought it was standard on all the 1.9td's to have elingated holes? :S

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts