VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, but need some help with my T4 1.9TD. I have just replaced a number of parts, including the engine, but the new engine won't start (it was working before installation). I have rebuilt lots of different cars (but need simple explanations!) so I'm confident it's mechanically correct, but the issue seems to be electrical.

On the old engine the fuel pump only had one purple wire going to the nut above the injector pipes. The new engine has the black box on top of the fuel pump and cylindrical solenoid at the side. The old fuel pump did not have these.

All the wires were in place in the old engine to connect these up, so I have connected them all using the original wiring loom where they had been cut/disconnected before. However, I get no clicks from the relays, no Glowplug light on the dashboard and no starter motor.

Not sure if it is relevant, but the wiring loom also has a home made bridge in the loom connected a red and a blue wire (though not near the fuel pump).

The engine is from a 1990-1996 vehicle, but mine is a 2000 year.

Any help would be much appreciated as the van is off for it's MoT on Friday.....

Thanks in advance!

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,117 Posts
Search through some threads, then get a hammer and smash that "black box" off.
It's the immobiliser system that's stopping you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done - makes no difference. When the ignition key is turned the oil, brakes, petrol and temperature lights come on, but no glow plug light. Tried a direct feed from the battery to the solenoid - also makes no difference.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,117 Posts
OK, out of my "knowledge" range, I was only going on what I've read before.
Mines a 2.5 TDi, but I read just about anything posted.

·
Registered
338 Posts
How long was the engine sat before being fitted?

Spray some easy start or brake cleaner down the inlet and see if it fires?

Even with the immo intact and working the engine would fire and then die.

Tried loosening the injector lines to see if it's injecting?

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,117 Posts
BEST thing to squirt down the intake is a silicone type dash/plastic cleaner.....
The silicone actually gives a little lubrication to the engine, where-as brake cleaner etc REMOVES it!!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
BEST thing to squirt down the intake is a silicone type dash/plastic cleaner.....
The silicone actually gives a little lubrication to the engine, where-as brake cleaner etc REMOVES it!!!!!
I normally run my engines with engine oil, that tends to lube the engine.

A second or so running on a bit of vapour ain't an issue - the resultant pre ignition I'd be more worried about - not worried enough to stop doing it though.

It's a very simple diagnostic test, I've used it for 30 years.

Next you'll be telling me engines get addicted to ether/easy start....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts