VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,

I have been trying to improve my MPH on my van and with a few mods and a fuel additive Rhino Diesel and improvements have clearly been made. Ran the van from full tank to just above the red on the gauge and got a wooping 635 miles!!!! thats 40 ish MPG and no motorway driving at all just small commuting most days. Very impressed but I know it is an 80 litre tank I believe on my 1.9TD T4 1999 800 Special. but can I run it to the red and be safe? Do we know how many litres are left when the gauge hit red?? this is my million dollar question to all you T4 lovers

All suggestions welcome

Jonty

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Fuel Gauges are always a bit hit and miss. The warning light comes on when you have around 10 litres left in the tank, so with average running that should give you around 70 to 80 miles before it all goes horribly wrong.

I have taken mine down to the warning plus 40+ miles before and that gave around 81 litres to fill up to the neck.

I normally fill before the red line, only because seeing the cost go over £110 brings tears to my eyes. T:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have an earlier 1995 1.9TD, no warning light but once it gets on the red line there really isn't any distance left in it, probably 20 miles max. I use my quarter line as my reserve now, last vehicle could do at least 80 plus on reserve so very different. If you really wanted to know take 5l of diesel around with you and reset the trip when the fuel light comes on and go till it runs out?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great thanks for all you comments, my T4 being a 1999 year does this mean I have a fuel warning light as I have never seen it come on, on the other hand I have only let the gauge drop to the very top of the red. When should the light pop on in relation to the gauge??

Cheers

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you have the dash that lights up blue, then you should have a fuel light. It beeps at you too.

I nearly crapped myself the first time it did it. :eek:

Mine comes on when the needle is about one width in to the red.
Fuel gauges are very variable from vehicle to vehicle, though.

(best mpg to date is 746 miles!)

:ILU:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great thanks,

Well I do have the blue dash light up so I will run the van to about where you suggested and see how we get on. Wow that millage is impressive. I reckon I could challenge that though. My MPG is not bad and once I have found where my fuel warning light is I will go from full to the warning and see how competitive my van is :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That way lies madness...I:

I've had around 748 miles on a tank before...but also when towing the Caravan, with two bikes on tailgate and a Monkey Bike in the Caravelle across France had to pull in refuel around 480 miles.

But I normally refuel around the 610 to 640 miles range, just before the warning light might appear.

The secret to good mpg is common sense. As in keeping light on the right foot, change up early, make sure your tracking is right and raise tyre pressure to ease rolling resistance, and of course read the road waaaaayyyy ahead. Then keep the speed down to reduce drag v miles covered. T:

Be keen to see what you get as I am convinced that if I still had my 2.4D now with the lower speed restictions and trucks having to keep speeds down so we are all following at slower speeds, that I would have been getting around 40 mpg easy from her.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Blushes...admits to having a record of every fuel fill up v miles since 1984. :eek:

Now that's sad I: Not saying that I am an4l or anything, but I can sharpen pencils just be bending over. Always a conversation stopper at parties... :ILU:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts