VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I did once but soon got sick of turning into a big robot everytime someone cut me up ,the novelty soon wears off;)

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
From the research I've done on alternative fuels it's seems that transformer oil is not unusable but not particularly good.
It is slow burning so will need the pump timing advanced even further than with veg oil to reduce 'knock' and it smells just as bad out the exhaust after burning as it does before you put it in.
I would imagine the 2.5tdi wouldn't like it all.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
you could probly get away with a 80/20 derv/oil mix?
T:

Yes, I forgot to say that info was based on running 100% or high percentage transformer oil. As said it is usable so in a low percentage with diesel it could be ok.
Do you have a load to get rid of? You could try 10% to see how it goes and work up.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
T:

Yes, I forgot to say that info was based on running 100% or high percentage transformer oil. As said it is usable so in a low percentage with diesel it could be ok.
Do you have a load to get rid of? You could try 10% to see how it goes and work up.
yeh i was assuming he had a load, would probly be worth while if you have some, if your buying as a substitute not sure if its worth it.

also if its well used transformer oil make sure its not turned acidic or anything, wouldant want it ruining you fuel pipes

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If it is anything like the oil that was used in HV capacitors it's very carcinogenic so shouldn't be burnt.:eek:

Also I thought that transformer oil was choose because of it's many properties, but one being a reluctance to burn?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts