VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After a little advice. Flashing the lights hasn't worked for a bit and I hadn't got round to figuring out why. Today I noticed that full beam is no longer working as well. When the stalk is switched to full beam it is now like having just side lights on.

I've checked the fuses and all look ok. What should my next course be?
- Check the bulbs (although with the previous state, no flashing but full beam works I suspect it's not the bulbs at fault).
- Relays? I'm a novice with where to find things on the van, as I've not had it that long and not had to fix anything yet, so some guidance would be much appreciated.
- Control stalk? It switches something when you push it as the dipped beam goes off. Doesn't do anything when pulled towards though.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It can only be one of three things. The stalk,fuses or the bulbs. If you can, just remove one bulb and look at the filiments. You will clearly see if it is broken. After this, you need to get yourself a 12v test lamp readily available from a car accessory shop. Connect the crocodile clip to a metal part near the headlamp (this is known as earth). Switch the ignition on and turn the lights to normal dipped driving position. Probe the three connectors at the headlamp bulb connector one at at time and rule out the one that illuminates. Next, position the switch so main beam should be working. Probe the remaining two wires. One is the earth connection (brown wire) but you may not be able to tell which connector the brown wire goes to - this ONE wont illuminate anyway. So, if you have no power at the one remaining terminal that is the main beam connection its either the fuse or the switch. If the blue main beam icon on the clocks doesn't light up i'd suggest it's the switch.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well after having a look I have established that the full beam does work when on permanantly and the blue symbol does light up. It is just the "flash" which does not work so I guess it's a stalk, boo more money!

Ebay please be my friend :)
As for my problem it was fixed with a little evaporative cleaner sprayed into the stalk and moved a lot! 30 seconds later I have full beam that flash A:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts