VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just another question about exhausts. I've done a search and most exhaust systems people are recommending are decats, which would be great but I haven't got a MOT garage I'm friendly enough with to get the van through with a out the cat. So can anyone recommend me either a system to buy or a good place in the Surrey area (Camberley sort of area) to get one fitted. The vans a 1.9td SWB.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
368 Posts
just hold on....i think that the MOT is being revised in 2012 and you might need a cat to pass, been lots of talk about it on here:eek:

i'm holding off with the decat untill got a 100% ans about the new MOT:*

·
Registered
647 Posts
hi and if you put 2 stroke oil to the diesel that helps with smoke and runs a lot cleaner and helps with lubrication to ,im sure someone else will come along and agree and tell you more T:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
As a general note; Will the missing cat affect backpressure & Lambda-readings in any way that should be taken into consideration?
I for a fact know it has been an issue on mods done to other makes and models not VAG realted:* Anyone?

Allthough not ideal, what about adding flanges and a "de-cat-pipe" which is replaced by the cat whan aprocing MOT date?
Ist for sure being done to other makes & modelsI:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A decat pipe is a bolt in part already see here with fitting video
http://www.performancepipesandtuning.com/proddetail.php?prod=t4decat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbU0jOUSrbM&list=UUAOuhSm19HHX3XhXt_RsrFQ&index=22&feature=plcp
There are no lambda sensors in a t4 so no problems there either T:
And as of 4.05pm today ther eis still nothing writen in stone for a cat to be fitted on a diesel vehicle, only thing that is nearly for sure is if its registered after 01/2008. But its not in stone, hence why we are going to be doing (if needed) decat pipe with a look-a-like cat in them I: T:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
when i had my mot done the instructor was under the impression that if the vehicle had a cat fitted at manufacture then it will need one to be fitted for a mot.
:*
i for one will be playing it safely an next year when i replace me knackered rear exhaust will be going from cat back T:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I will for sure not get into a discussion as to what rules apply for the UK & your MOT :)
I only have first hand knowledge to TüV-based (in/out of Germany) reggulations, and they are rather cleare.
I would also have belived that original systems fitted such as a Cat are a "must have" in order to comply with makers stated figures upon receiving a COC:*
Enlighten me :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm food for thought here, thanks for all the responses. I'll have to keep an eye open for that ruling. If it doesn't happen that'll make it much easier and cheaper ha. Cheers guys

·
Registered
541 Posts
being a tester myself i know that there is discussion on cats..and that if your vehicle was manufactured with one ,,it will need to be on for the mot even if your emmisions are ok...they are also trying to get in a ruling of NO AFTERMARKET CATS...and that they can only be replaced with genuine as so many cheap copies are not doing the job properly...also coming in are..towbar checks including security ball wear and electrics..all dash warning lights correct operation ..ie no warning lights when vehicle running..split /damaged gaitors even on ball joints and of course hid headlamps being retrofitted...this of course all depends on how much of a tw*t the tester wants to be..but to be honest overlooking things like these can cost a tester his licence and a serious court case..as inspectors can call a vehicle back into a station as it is leaving and re examine it..and they do this regularly sneaky f****rs..so dont be too ed at the testing station guys as they too have familys to support..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts