VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 2.5 T5 and was just about to order a split charge system and was wondering is it the case that most will only charge my leisure battery to the same capacity as the main battery and if so what's the largest size of leisure battery i should install?:confused:

Also if the above is true, is there a similar system that will fully charge the leisure battery, thats not going use up too many beer tokens?:cool:

Thanks

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
you need a split charge (100amp setup) to charge the batteries up safely, it will charge the leisure battery but a vehicle alternator wont ever fully charge any battery more than about 80% so then peeps try to fit extra stuff to gain the extra 20% as far as batteries go get the biggest you can fit in but 110-125 amp does, most people tho depends what loads are on the van and how well set up to re charge it is etc,

then you need a way to get the batteries in good condition when at home parked up again most use a car type battery charger and then you move in fancier type stuff.
have a look on here some very good in depth thread

·
Registered
165 Posts
Been told by auto electrician today that all i need for split charge system is some 44 wire:*, 40 amp voltage control relay and he gave me a auto switch combi relay. All i need is to charge the battery. Is this enough:*

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
No, go back and punch him in the face for giving you stupid advice!!!!!!
You need a system that will handle the output of your alternator and this will be minimum 90 amps. Once you have that it doesn't matter what size battery you fit.
Have a look here for some ideas on all kinds of charging equipment http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68796

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
No, go back and punch him in the face for giving you stupid advice!!!!!!
LOL:

Now would seem a good time to say that the advice you gave me in December re my leisure battery has proved (not that I doubted it) to be spot on, and that all residual problems have disappeared. Thanks upspex T:

Listen to upspex govern he knows his onions :ILU:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts