VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It gives me great pleasure to say that after 9 months of being a member of this forum (a proper gestation period), my waters broke and I bought one today. I am so thrilled to be starting my own build thread after reading so many of yours. A::ILU::cool:

Sourced via www.pimpmycamper.co.uk it was bought at auction and I haven't seen it in the flesh yet. It was advertised as a Kombi being sold by VW Finance but during the auctioneers spiel he commented that it was a conversion. I'm a bit wary about who did the work but I'm feeling lucky. :-D

T32, 122k, 102hp, 5 speed (pity, was desperate for a 6 speed but all of them were £4k above my budget), 5 seats. Windows all round. One decent bump on a front wing, d'oh.

First up...
- Insurance
- Vehicle Excise Duty (cause there's no such thing as road tax)
- train tickets to go collect

Second up...
- twin swivels at the front.
- MV Airo heater + SIM controller
- second row seat swap from a x3 to 2+1, well actually just the 2, I don't want the 1.
- new floor

Third up...
- A bed like this from Sheffield Steel
- magnetic curtains like this or this

Photos coming soon.

A::ILU::cool:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
dbac.......

Speak to me about your rears seats might be able to help each other out.........T:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so insurance sorted with AF. The quotes from AF and Brentacre were virtually identical.
AF offered £2k of personal contents cover and would charge an extra £30 +£25 admin fee for a Stage 1 remap.
Brentacre offered £100 contents cover but would include a Stage1 remap in the original price.
As far as I could tell everything else was the same.

Neither would charge for additional mods as long as I let them know after each weekend of the mods made.

Now reading the AF policy and it seems to state only a £200 personal contents cover. Hmmm. I'll be phoning them on Monday.

Picking up the van tomorrow morning... but getting an 0625 train to get there. Ugh!

867 Posts
Ok, so insurance sorted with AF. The quotes from AF and Brentacre were virtually identical.
AF offered £2k of personal contents cover and would charge an extra £30 +£25 admin fee for a Stage 1 remap.
Brentacre offered £100 contents cover but would include a Stage1 remap in the original price.
As far as I could tell everything else was the same.

Neither would charge for additional mods as long as I let them know after each weekend of the mods made.

Now reading the AF policy and it seems to state only a £200 personal contents cover. Hmmm. I'll be phoning them on Monday.

Picking up the van tomorrow morning... but getting an 0625 train to get there. Ugh!
Hi,
If you'd like to PM me your details I can take a look into contents issues for you.
Regards,
Dan.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the good news is that the V5 has it down as a window van so I'm assuming it wasn't a conversion company but factory fit. I've got www.pimpmycamper.co.uk coming out to look at it this week and he'll be able to confirm I'm sure.

The lining is a little tatty in places, the bodywork needs a little tidy and the driver's door hinge stop has snapped off causing the door to overextend and bend the wing. D'oh.

First mod done... the seatbelt warning light and buzzer wouldn't stop! After an hours drive and then some internetting I've disconnected the 2pin plug under the driver's seat. Ah, silence! Bliss. :) Fixing the sensor is something for the list but nowhere near the top.

The gear knob wouldn't centralise either but that seems to have freed itself up after a couple of hundred miles of use. I guess it was sat at the auction house for a while.

Kit ordered:
- MV Airo Heater + SIM (GSM) Controller and underbody bracket.
- Front swivels.
- Leisure battery and ancillary gear.
- new (second hand) stereo as the old one didn't have an Aux In and I do like a good podcast. :cool:
- tints for rear windows, for security. Suddenly got paranoid that *everything* left in the van is visible. D'oh.
- service

I've picked up a double rear Kombi seat with all the trimmings. In a fortnight or so, I'll have a triple rear Kombi seat with all the trimmings for sale.

Once the swivels are in, I'll be able to measure up my bed properly and arrange the build.

More photos soon.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the day off work to make some progress*.
- Front seat swivels fitted.
- Stereo replaced so I have an Aux In.
- Door hinge replaced so that door no longer over-opens and damages the wing.
- 120k service, oil, filters etc etc

Here's a photo of me hard at work. That yellow thing is the top of my hot mug of tea that I'm enjoying in my kitchen while Guy from www.pimpmycamper.co.uk sorts all of the above. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, I want to do more of the work. After buying the van I have no money but I have even less time. :-(
And a London-Durham drive this weekend.

"Mr Tinter" (07944 748 517) came along and tinted my rear windows for security - pretty much the only exterior mod I plan on doing. Cracking job, booked at short notice, lifetime guarantee. If you're relatively local to North London, Richard will visit you. He doesn't bother advertising as he's so much work from main dealers apparently. I was super lucky that he was available on the only day I was available for a month.

* make some progress with something else but mostly talked vans all day. D'oh.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done 1000 miles in her (as yet unnamed) so far and by and large everything seems spot on.

A couple of minor nuisances:
1) the glow plug lights have come on three times but goes off when restarting the engine. I'm down on power temporarily (and cruise control doesn't work). I know I need to visit someone with a VAG diagnostic tool to confirm exactly what it is.
2) I've a couple of paint bubbles on the LH sliding door. I've had a quote to sort them but am currently wondering if they're covered under warranty still. DoM Sept 2010.
3) LH sliding door doesn't stay open - need to replace catch.

I met up with Sheffield Steel (forum name) on Sunday for an hour and we talked about a bed similar to this but a little bit wider and with a leaf opening forwards, over the swivel front seats. It was a pleasure speaking to someone so enthusiastic and practically-minded - a proper engineer. I'm hopeful of something amazing being fitted to my van by the end of March. :)

And curtains. I'm spending so much time thinking about curtains. Never in my life did I think I'd be so interested in soft furnishings. <shakes head in disbelief> I'm looking at the thermal silver screen types but all the kits state that they're no good for twin sliders. I'm tempted to buy a Kiravans set and make it work, somehow.

And in other news, I qualified as a skydiving instructor last week so I'll be on airfields in the middle of nowhere a lot more this year - I'd best get my skates on and get converting! A::ILU:

PS let me know if you want some lessons. ;-)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, getting carried away with it all.

Double rear seat fitted. Triple rear seat removed (and for sale).
Diesel heater fitted (MV Airo).
Leisure battery fitted. Good story about this actually. I'll expand on this in a later post.
Silver screens bought from Kiravans.
Curtain material bought from Ikea - I want to wrap the silver screens to make it look as homely as possible / present a black exterior to people passing by. Bit ambitious this and probably a waste of cash.
VeeDubs mud flaps bought but not yet fitted.
Leis bought. I guess I AM a hippy after all. A::ILU::cool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Bed is in. Wardrobe is in. I told you it would be alternative...

In other news, my swivel seat means the handbrake plastic surround won't fit having had it lowered. What does everyone in a similar situation do? I think I've just dropped a wardrobe on the sensor wire and bust the connector. Oopsie. How do I prevent this happening again? Can I cut down the handbrake surround and make it fit neatly?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ref the handbrake, if you lowered it using the supplied bracket (like I did) then you may want to look at securing it more firmly with some self tappers wherever you can as they have a tendency to bend (the real fix is to have it welded but I haven't as yet). As for the cover, careful trimming with a stanley knife but I wasn't really that happy with mine. Instead I built a little drawer that fits between the handbrake and the passenger seat and then put a solid top between the seat bases with a slot for the handbrake, I can still walk through but now have a place for change and cables etc too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts