VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last month or so my van has started to give out kind of a hot engine (diesel? Oil?) smell through the vents, particularly when the van comes to a halt after a run. It doesn't have to be a long run, just as soon as the van is up to temperature really.

I thought it may have been because I was due for an oil change (I do this every 5,000 miles) so I changed it and no difference...smell appears.

Van is a 98 1.9td and there's no obvious fluid leak in or around the engine.

Is there anything I can check? Pipe/ducting off or blocked? Has anyone experienced this before?

All help or advice greatly appreciated as it's doing my head in.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do you definatey have the plastic cover for the pollen cabin filter...?
If not then it's just sucking in any fumes from the bay...

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Do you definatey have the plastic cover for the pollen cabin filter...?
If not then it's just sucking in any fumes from the bay...
+1 mines without at the moment and didn't do it when it had it. You will get some smells from around the engine bud, its quite normal T:T:T:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 mines without at the moment and didn't do it when it had it. You will get some smells from around the engine bud, its quite normal T:T:T:
I'm aware that I should get some smells but it was getting near headache stage...and that aint right.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna have an investigation on this tomorrow, so, anymore ideas?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Could possibly be an antifreeze smell

Is there any sign of a water leak? are you loosing any water from expansion tank?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
got it on my work motor . 2.5tdi , and only when i stop , smells like rubber burning . so very interested in this one . i do have a small oil leak on top of engine by the oil filler and thought this may be it ?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
the rubber leakoff pipes joining the injectors usually the cause of stinky diesel fumes,10min job,fiver to replaceT:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could possibly be an antifreeze smell

Is there any sign of a water leak? are you loosing any water from expansion tank?
This is interesting, I've always had to top up my antifreeze ever so slightly about once a month but no real signs of a leak.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smell located...one of my braided fuel pipes had split sending pretty much the entire contents of my tank (£65's worth of diesel) peshing all over the road.
Problem now solved for £2.54. Knickers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks Brumski , you solved my problem before I had even thought about it. took it off for a flat batt, did not put back on noticed it was smeling but did not put 2 and 2 together. T:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts