VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Pick up my van in 2 weeks and want to get the ball rolling on a conversion. I've looked at the runs of furniture you can buy but wan't to add my own spin on things and build it as much as I can. Also do mountain biking and have some specific plans.

I have found a local furniture company that can make anything and are really well priced (mates rates help). I plan to make templates out of card for the furniture (saw a video on youtube that gave me the idea) and I will build it from flat pack but has anyone got some templates or drawings for a SWB already, save me the effort?

Also, what material is your furniture made out of? They can get any board I want so possibilities are endless.

Thanks in advance!

248 Posts
Hi

Best bet is to scribe your profiles of the van i.e contours and make some initial templates from card but then you want to make your proper templates from plywood ideally possibly mdf athough it tends to break if bashed. Essentially you want to form a jig i.e. with your door hole cut outs etc then its a case of clamping your furniture material to the template and using a router to go around it especially for the doors. You can buy the special router tools which cuts the right amount of material out to allow for you knock on edging trim. Again you will need a special slotter tool to cut the line to knock the trim into.

Most people tend to use the 15mm Vohringer plywood which can be bought with different laminated coverings i.e. carbon, gloss black etc. You will also need to buy the usual hinges, catches etc too.

There are loads of threads on here explaining how to do it, look out on youtube for Mikes vids (Mi-Vans) he has some great vids and explains about making units etc.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Hey guys,

Pick up my van in 2 weeks and want to get the ball rolling on a conversion. I've looked at the runs of furniture you can buy but wan't to add my own spin on things and build it as much as I can. Also do mountain biking and have some specific plans.

I have found a local furniture company that can make anything and are really well priced (mates rates help). I plan to make templates out of card for the furniture (saw a video on youtube that gave me the idea) and I will build it from flat pack but has anyone got some templates or drawings for a SWB already, save me the effort?

Also, what material is your furniture made out of? They can get any board I want so possibilities are endless.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I don't understand what your asking for:*you ve got a furniture company to make your furniture,then you say your using flat pack then you ask for templates :*
3 questions
1,what is your furniture maker doing
2,can your furniture maker cannot scribe
3,why do you need flat pack if your having it made ?

we do a range of flat pack carcuss range that is rapid build all you need to do is buy your end panels and doors ,check out the youtube video

·
Registered
515 Posts
IMO, laminated or otherwise, some sort of plywood will offer the best overall combination of weight, durability and cost.

B.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably didnt make myself clear sorry.

The furniture company can cut out the board easily, I just need to provide templates. They make proper house furniture but buy loads of board in bulk and zap out shapes all day from all material so the panels for the van would take no time. Their chippys would be able to do the lot but want to keep costs low and do as much myself. They make bespoke furniture for megabucks so wouldn't be able to afford them either :(

I know there are some standard shapes for the upright sections of the furniture to match the vans profile and standard widths to fit 3/4 bed and the fridge. To save getting all the card and taking the day to cut these shapes out, are there any CAD gurus that have the drawings that I can pass to the company or have actual paper/card templates they can send me? Saves me time and effort, call me lazy.

The company will not have the time to put it all together but will be able to zap it all out in an hour max. Northshore, this is my plan if nobody has these templates already. They are confident their kit can cut round a card/paper template easily. Hinges, catches, edging and putting it all together is easy enough for me to do.

Make sense? Call me lazy but if someone has done it already, why duplicate effort!

248 Posts
People will have templates they have made and some people may have CAD drawings too, only problem being is people tend not to want to give them to people as this is the process which take many hours /money to get right/create which is why your initially asking the question as your not wanting to go through that process yourself. This is usually the stage that makes a conversion a long process as its trial and error, once you have your templates right then its really easy.

Good luck though u might hit on lucky with someone

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was hoping someone private may have then, not you guys. U don't want to give all your secrets and hard work away!

Understood, off down to the store to aquire some card then. Luckily it is plentiful and available in Triwall so will make good templates. Thanks for your feedback.

What material do you guys think is the best. I've looked at the laminated ply in 15mm and it seems to be megabucks although a great quality product. Is 15mm the minimum for a sturdy run of furniture or would 10mm be enough? It will be getting professionally painted so the finish isn't a huge concern.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You would want the bulk to be 15mm for strength. For some panels you could use a lot thinner than 10mm so long as it's not going to carry any weight and is purely a decorative panel, but you would need a suitable way of edging it so that the edge would be covered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts