VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I have rcently aquired a 2010 T5.1 kombi and was looking today about witing in a 12v cigarette lighter type power socket for sat-nav, etc. on the dash that was on with the ignition only. I opened the fuse box to find there was no fuse layout diagram - and I was amazed to find there was no diagram in the owners manual either!
So, should I have a card showing which fuse is which? Can some one please point me in the right direction or post a copy of their card. Thank you.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,750 Posts
Pathetic, isn't it. Mind you, the quality of the Owner's Manual is pretty poor in general - for example mine doesn't even tell you how to make the auto windows work again if you have to disconnect the battery...

I've got a few images of fuse cards, but the problem is I don't know what year they apply to. However, in the times that I've had to use the info I haven't found any errors for my van (2013 model):

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya, from the answers on here and reading other threads, am I correct in thinking that my kombi would NOT have the fuse card in the fuse box lid?

Rod, as I posted above, I just wanted to wire in a lowish power ignition controlled 12V socket and wanted to know what fuse did what! I have found the one by the battery, one under the passanger seat and the other in the dash under the cup holder ( do you class this as 3?) also what is ELSAWIN please?

Reading old threads is suggested that it is best to piggyback off fuse 19, BUT WHICH FUSE IS THAT!??!! I presume it is the radio fuse shown in triffics images above?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having read the posts above, and having spent most of the day trying to figure out how to connect an extra 12v socket (for the gps) on top of the dash of my newly-acquired 2011 T5, I too am amazed at the lack of info on which fuse serves which circuit! I certainly expected a layout card inside the fuse box lid, like every other vehicle I've owned.

Current thinking is to wire a second 12v socket in parallel with the lighter socket, at least the wires are visible, and locate it in the little tray above the radio. Any suggestions on how to remove this tray would be very gratefully received.

And, needless to say, a link to any fuse & wiring info would be equally welcome.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Having read the posts above, and having spent most of the day trying to figure out how to connect an extra 12v socket (for the gps) on top of the dash of my newly-acquired 2011 T5, I too am amazed at the lack of info on which fuse serves which circuit! I certainly expected a layout card inside the fuse box lid, like every other vehicle I've owned.

Current thinking is to wire a second 12v socket in parallel with the lighter socket, at least the wires are visible, and locate it in the little tray above the radio. Any suggestions on how to remove this tray would be very gratefully received.

And, needless to say, a link to any fuse & wiring info would be equally welcome.
The top dash tray just pulls out, from the windscreen side 1st

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to jump on the back of this thread. I want to connect a 12V cigarette lighter socket that is live with the keys out of the ignition, can anybody recommend were I could connect to , how about under the passenger seat? My van is a 2012 T5.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
im glad its not just me then, i collected my 63 plate kombi tuesday and decided to fit our camea system for work today and was amazed there was no fuse info on the cover or the hand book also to gain access to the fuses you need to unscrew a quarter turn fitting.
i just picked up a perm 12v qnd s/l from the supply cables intl the fusebox by doing a bit of testing with my fluke meter. few minutes with a so
dering iron and it was sorted.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

If you want to make the additional socket look the part, there is a version of the top tray which has one already installed. As your Van Centre parts man to look up the one fitted in a Trendline for instance.

Rod

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
I'm just connecting up a rear 12v socket for kids DVD and maybe a 12v cool box. My 2012 t5.1 has it's original cigarette lighter 12v all the time. I've blown a fuse trying to get my head around it and looked in the fuse box under cigarette and in engine bay. Can't find a blown fuse.
I've just read that there could be more fuse boxes, the hunt goes on. I'll be interested to know is my cig lighter 12v all the time is an after sales mod (but the wiring behind does look original) or is this standard on 2012 t5.1?:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found it. cigarette lighter fuse under passenger seat. 15A

Still look for suitable ignition switched feed though. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For info, my T5 lighter socket is permanently live also - despite the handbook clearly saying it's controlled by the ignition.

I'd be interested to know how you wired the rear 12v socket, as I need to do the same thing. Currently I'm hoping to be able to pick up the (factory fitted) 13-pin trailer socket feed, which should have both 'on' & switched via ignition' feeds to the relevant pins and appears to run along the nearside.

Thanks to Deeyup & Rod-VW for their valued input so far.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my 2013 trendline has two 12v outlets, one in the ash tray / drinks holder thing and the other is in the tray on top of the dash unter a little flap, both are perminant 12+, quite annoying for the use of a dash cam as i have to keep unplugging it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want to make the additional socket look the part, there is a version of the top tray which has one already installed. As your Van Centre parts man to look up the one fitted in a Trendline for instance.
I checked the Trendline top tray at the local dealer...it does look neat, but they quoted me over £120 for one. Now looking at Plan B...

But they did agree to send me a copy of the fuse layout. Watch this space.

·
Registered
9 Posts
But they did agree to send me a copy of the fuse layout. Watch this space.
My friendly dealer has sent me a hard copy - 32 pages - which covers fuse layouts for T5 model year 2012. Not quite exciting bedtime reading, but it's already been helpful. I'll be scanning it shortly, and will be pleased to pass it on to anyone who needs it - just send a PM with your email address and I'll reply with the file.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Fuse layout - T5; Adding fuses

Aided and abetted by advice from various people, I've finally succeeded in providing a 12v socket panel to the rear area, neatly and without cutting or splicing of any wires.

It turned out that the fuse block under the passenger seat has several unused fuse sockets, 6 of which were already provided with a 12v supply to one side, so all that was needed was the correct terminal to fit into the block and give a new fused circuit. Eventually my VW dealer found the correct terminals, which are supplied as a repair wire, about 2ft long, with a terminal on each end. These just click into the fuse block after sliding the purple retaining strip to one side. The part number is V000 979 227 E, cost £1.11 each wire.

This has allowed me to fit a neat 12v outlet panel to the plastic cover at the rear/bottom of the passenger seat.

Thanks to all whose advice made it work!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts