VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My blower fuse (number 6 - 15 amp) keeps popping.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Also, the sticky on fuse numbering / amps is different to my van (1998 1.9 td)

Number 6 for me is a 15 amp fuse (well, thats what was in there the first time the blower went and Ive never touched them in the year Ive owned the van...)

However the sticky for fuses in this section shows number 6 should have a 30 amp fuse :confused:

I dont want to put a 30 amp fuse in there in case it masks a problem elsewhere and something more major goes pop!!!

Any help greatly appreciated. In any case - thursday 16th she's gettin her 100k service at brickwerks so its not too long to wait if something needs replacing.

Cheers y'all :ILU:

:)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My fuses --- Fuses in the sticky thread (bold = difference)

1 - 15a --- 10a
2 - 10a --- 10a
3 - 10a --- 10a
4 - 20a --- 15a
5 - 30a --- 15a
6 - 15a --- 30a
7 - 10a --- 10a
8 - 10a --- 10a
9 - 10a --- Blank
10 - 15a --- 15a
11 - 10a --- 10a
12 - 10a --- 10a
13 - 10a --- 10a
14 - 10a --- 10a
15 - 10a --- 10a
16 - 15a --- 15a
17 - 10a --- Blank
18 - Blank --- 20a
19 - 10a --- 10a
20 - 10a --- 10a
21 - 15a --- 15a
22 - 20a --- 10a

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh yeah - just found this post, checked the link and my fuses are defo not the same :confused:

Is that thread for a 2.5 or summat?

My van has fuse 18 blank, and the above link and the sticky thread both say this is for the fuel pump, but surely if this was blank she wouldnt drive?

Has my van been rewired? Im well confused / worried!

LOL:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi,

Funnily enough I am having a similar problem today. Picked up my van from the bodyshop after a blowover and polish - all looking good but today realised the blower wasnt working. Checked the fuse - number 6 according to the thread, all looked good but was a 15 amp. Put another 15 amp in and still didnt work. Put a 30 amp in and still didnt work. Guess the motor has packed in. Anybody how easy it is to chnage these or anything else to check.
Just to check, when you count your fuses you go from right to left right???

Cheers.
Ben

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump on this one :(

Can any sparkies / more knowledgable people explain why my blower might keep shorting fuses?

Also, my fuses do not correspond to the ones posted in the sticky thread in the T4 electrical section. The info posted there (and elsewhere) must be generic and not correct for all models fo T4. Perhaps there could be an update to the "fuses" sticky to incorporate the fuse configurations from other models :confused:

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Make sure there is nothing stopping the motor from turning! With ignition off, remove pollen filter hosing and filter (you should now see the blower fan). Try and turn the fan and make sure no obstructions are stopping it turn ( I once found a plastic bag in my housing :eek: ). If all is well the the motor has burned out and will need replacing

The fuse list is stamped on the inside of fuse cover (cubby hole), I am not sure if the fuse lay out or rating is different on the later models??

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pete.

I'l have a look on the inside of the fuse cover but I couldnt see any info stamped there :confused:

I'l also have a play with the motor, and see of the contact brushes arent too worn, as per other threads here.

Anyone else have any more info on fuse configurations between models?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Simplesy,

If the fuse keeps popping it sounds like you must have a short circuit. Perhaps live touching earth at a connection or a fault in the blower itself.

Does the fuse still blow if you disconnect the blower (or at least turn it off). If not sounds like that unit is at fault. If it does blow then sounds like it's time to inspect the wiring looking for damage.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks goldust

The fuse only blows when I turn the blower on so Il have a dig round and see if I can locate the issue.

If its not the blower unit Im not sure where to start with wring. I guess any auto sparky could sort that?

Cheers all

·
Registered
880 Posts
Forgot to add! Check behind the glovebox, where the blower connection is. I've seen them melted before T:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The plot thickens

Rod-vw has a link on his site to an 07_98 manual (whatever that means) - link above. This is the same info provided in the fuse sticky.

My van has a different fuse configuration to the sticky, and obviously the link on Rod's site

I have an owners manual with the numbers 06_97 on the back. This has completely different fuse information to the sticky AND to my van.

Hence - there are at least three different fuse configurations.

I will speak to VW about this and see where I get. I will also ask parts for the correct manual!

·
Registered
187 Posts
good luck will be interested to hear the results. Managed to sort mine last night. Not sure how but checked connections to the switch and motor, took them out, put them back and it started working :). One thing I did notice is that the fuse blew when I turned the ignition when the blower was on switch 4. Replaced it and seems OK as long as it is not on setting 4. Maybe that just provides too much of a surge and blows the fuse. I suppose I could put a 30 amp one in....:confused:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I did notice is that the fuse blew when I turned the ignition when the blower was on switch 4. Replaced it and seems OK as long as it is not on setting 4. Maybe that just provides too much of a surge and blows the fuse. I suppose I could put a 30 amp one in....:confused:
Same with mine. Shouldnt be the case though :(

Dont put a more powerful fuse in though - its shorting to protect the system because of a fault somewhere. Check the thread with the torched van - it could happen if you over rate the fuse!

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
mite be totally wrong, but could it be the resistor pack?.......

tell me to shut up if im barking up the wrong tree

·
13,223 Posts
series resistor for the heater pack, its behind the glove box, i believe all vws have them, they can be a bit of a pain on the t5s, generally theyll work in two speeds, say 1 and 4 but the minute you leave it on 2 and 3 it pops the fuse for the heater and then theres nothing, i may be barking up the wrong tree but it may be worth checking???

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Il have a dig round soon (after the weekend - Im moving house tomorrow!)

I dont suppose you know about the different fuse configs on T4's do you?

Cheers for your help - always appreciated :)

Si :ILU:

·
13,223 Posts
Thanks!

Il have a dig round soon (after the weekend - Im moving house tomorrow!)

I dont suppose you know about the different fuse configs on T4's do you?

Cheers for your help - always appreciated :)

Si :ILU:
if you pm me ur reg and chassis number i think i can get it off elsa, ill have a look maybe i can fax it to you (we havent entered the modern age yet, i have to pedal to keep the pc going!) LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts