VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've look all over for the fuse S41 which supplies the heated rear window in my 2010 t5.1. The wiring diagram says its in relay carrier (1) cockpit, but I can't find out where that is? Does anyone know?
Thanks for any help.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,319 Posts
There's a relay carrier above the OBD socket, I think there's a fuse or two in there as well but it's a while ago I was digging about in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I found that one but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be any of those unless i'm missing something. Thanks for the help anyway!

·
Special Rapporteur
8,953 Posts
Are you sure that the documentation you referred to applies to a 2010 onward vehicle? It doesn't look right at all, because the only fuses that I'm aware of that only start with S are for special vehicles.

Anyway, when you look in detail, you find that the heated rear window is actually controlled by Central Electronics (J519), and the fuse that supplies the HRW (via J519) should be SB9 (rated at 30A).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for that! Checked fuse SB9 and it had a 15A fuse in which was, of course, blown. Swapped it for a 30 and we seem to be all good!
I feel like I was led down a bit of a rabbit hole - the documentation was supposedly the wiring diagram and the wire colours from j519 seemed to be correct but obviously that fuse doesn’t exist or was a different model.
Would you mind sharing where you got your information from for future reference?
thanks again for that - been bugging me for days.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,953 Posts
Checked fuse SB9 and it had a 15A fuse in which was, of course, blown. Swapped it for a 30 and we seem to be all good!
I would be very careful there. The rating that I gave was, I think, for a 2012 van, but that doesn't mean that it's right for a 2010 van unfortunately. The absolutely definitive answer is probably only going to be found by a dealer (if they can be bothered to look it up for you) or by getting access to the online documentation via a subscription to Erwin.de.

It may be Ok, but it surprises me a bit that anyone would shove a 15A fuse into a slot previously occupied by a 30A fuse. But stranger things have happened...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest, I had a look as to why myself as I thought it suspicious - it seems it might be quite easy to go wrong. This link for example shows fuse 9 as brake pedal position and 15A whereas this link indicates what you told me as a 30A fuse supplying j519. So at a guess that could be what has happened, as 15A seems too low for the heated screen, and it all seems happy now with a 30A one in and VCDS not showing any faults. Will keep an eye on it for a while though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts